Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 257 Weatherby or 25-06 AI ?

Default 257 Weatherby or 25-06 AI ?

I am looking into picking up one or the other. I like the ballistics of the weatherby but I like the price of the 25-06AI when it comes to reloading. Any words of wisdom? Thanks!

Default Re: 257 Weatherby or 25-06 AI ?

What are the drawbacks to going with a .257mag? Brass? Powder volume? Help us out a little here.....because if you dont then every one of us .257roy lovers are going to say "forget the 25-06AI"

If it's the cost of brass get the concensus of the .257mag guys on brass life expectancy.

I'd considered going the AI route but tossed it out for the hassle of fireforming new brass....that and when I saw the ballistics of the .257mag

The price of components to do the fireforming negate any savings over buying 257 WBY brass. Besides no matter what you have read the AI will not get to with in 200 fps of the 257. The AI has about 7 to 10% more case capacity (depending on who cut the reamer) which "should" give you about 2 to 4% more velocity.

Not that I have ever worried about but resale will be better on the factory chamber.
    ULW .240WBY
    Stainless custom 6.5x284
    Stainless Lt Wt .30-06

CircuitRider Guest

Yea, the most you will get out of a 25-06 Ackley Improved using a 100gr bullet is between 3400 and 3500fps and that is with max loads and a 257 will get between 3550 and 3715fps with max loads and this is checking with a chrono. How do I know this since I do not own a 25-06 Ackley Improved? My neighbor down the road does and I owned a 257Wby and we would go to the range togehter and chrono graph our loads. Some people make a lot of claims but I have not seen a 25-06 Ackley improved get close to a 257Wby. I had a 30-06 Ackley Improved and fire forming was a pain in the @#*&#!!!!! Not at all worth the trouble or expense much less the time for such a small return over the standard factory round.

PS. One can get within 60 to 80fps of the 25-06 Ackley with a standard 25-06 using a 100gr bullet. It is not worth it, just get a 257Wby and really cook. Of course really cooking is 4100-4200fps with a 257-300Wby.
    Last edited by CircuitRider; 01-12-2008 at 04:44.

Bighorn, that's what I was thinking. Thanx for that info. Resale is definately a concern if you happen to be the horsetrader type.

CR, I'm thinking you and your neighbor friend were like two guys lining up at a stop light

Good info.

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitRider View Post

PS. One can get within 60 to 80fps of the 25-06 Ackley with a standard 25-06 using a 100gr bullet. It is not worth it, just get a 257Wby and really cook. Of course really cooking is 4100-4200fps with a 257-300Wby.
    Does Ackley have the "diminishing returns" list or whatever, where he gives his thoughts on which cartridges were best to AI and others that werent worth the trouble? Is that in his manuals?

If the cost of components is an issue, just do the math. You'll get 100pcs of Norma brass for about $125 right now for the 257Wby. That brass is really high quality, and will last a long time. Or, you can get 100pcs of 25-06 brass (from Remington, most likely) for $38. It will take some powder (probably about $10-12 worth) plus a box of bullets ($25-45, depending on what you use) just to fireform the brass. Now, you've got $125 in the 257Wby prior to starting real load work, and you've got $73-95 in the 25-06 prior to starting real load work, and the 25-06 brass is not going to last as long after fireforming to the AI chamber as factory brass in a factory chamber, so you'll get fewer loads. By the time you do the math, the difference in the two rounds is only about $30-40 in real money. Would you rather save $30-40 and be shooting 100-200fps slower and with more hassle, or would you rather just spend up front and shoot the best 25 around? I know what I'd choose.

It has been said that if you buy the best, you cry only once. If you buy lesser, you'll cry every time you have to deal with it, and when you have to replace it.
    "Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

"I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work." - from The Auburn Creed, Dr. George Petrie

CircuitRider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dubyam View Post
    Would you rather save $30-40 and be shooting 100-200fps slower and with more hassle, or would you rather just spend up front and shoot the best 25 around? I know what I'd choose.

It has been said that if you buy the best, you cry only once. If you buy lesser, you'll cry every time you have to deal with it, and when you have to replace it.

dubyam, I like that, well said man.

CircuitRider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorn WBY View Post
    The price of components to do the fireforming negate any savings over buying 257 WBY brass. Besides no matter what you have read the AI will not get to with in 200 fps of the 257. The AI has about 7 to 10% more case capacity (depending on who cut the reamer) which "should" give you about 2 to 4% more velocity.

Not that I have ever worried about but resale will be better on the factory chamber.
    Bighorn has really made a great point and one that applies to me. If you guys get a 257-300Wby or a 270-300Wby, you can forget horse trading and re-sell value unless you get lucky and some small body of people who have an interest has someone who just happens to be looking for what you have. Now it has cost me a great deal in trading and money to do the 257-300Wby and the 270-300Wby. I am not only stuck with my choices (which I want to be by the way) but I will never get out of them what I put in them. So if you are not willing to take a loss and be basically saddled with what you have done, don't build, buy or trade for a wildcat. You have to really want the wildcat without question or reservation. I like to have never sold my Custom Sako TRG 30-06 Ackley Improved for just that very reason and I got lucky in finding that guy. So I think you would be better with the 257Wby instead of the 25-06 Ackley Improved. Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitRider View Post
    Bighorn has really made a great point and one that applies to me. If you guys get a 257-300Wby or a 270-300Wby, you can forget horse trading and re-sell value unless you get lucky and some small body of people who have an interest has someone who just happens to be looking for what you have. Now it has cost me a great deal in trading and money to do the 257-300Wby and the 270-300Wby. I am not only stuck with my choices (which I want to be by the way) but I will never get out of them what I put in them. So if you are not willing to take a loss and be basically saddled with what you have done, don't build, buy or trade for a wildcat. You have to really want the wildcat without question or reservation. I like to have never sold my Custom Sako TRG 30-06 Ackley Improved for just that very reason and I got lucky in finding that guy. So I think you would be better with the 257Wby instead of the 25-06 Ackley Improved. Just my 2 cents worth.
    +1
    That really is the point. First of all, if you ever do anything to a rifle, including buying it, you will never get your money back. Wildcat or not. And, as stated above, if you are not going to go at a wildcat full out, don't bother at all. If you go at it half heartedly, all you will ever think is "Why the hell am I doing this?"