Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Stuck Bolt on Weatherby

Question Re: Another Stuck Bolt on Weatherby

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_T View Post
    Update. I ventured into the safe for some comparisons. My 240 ULW has a bolt feel that is smooth as silk. It feels as it should if I was stroking that bad dog to prepare for that next shot as I watch the buck fall and not need it.

My 300 feels the same. Smooth. I pulled the bolt on the 300 and put it in my 257 and it was better but still somewhat tight. I put my 300 bolt in the 257 and it was better but still tight.

Interestingly, my 240 and 300 have not gap between the action and the bolt when fully locked down. The 257 does. When I put the 257 bolt in the 300, it has the gap too.

So now both the action and the bolt are cupable in this crime against smooth closure and release?
    Ken I had a stuck bolt situation and I found the rear action bolt hitting the bottom of the rifle bolt . Back your rear action bolt out 1 turn and see if the sticking goes away. If it fixes it shorten the bolt by grinding or shimm it and it should clear...Pat
    Wthby Memorbilia Collector and TRADER of Wthby items.
    22.250 Varmetmaster 26" German, Mark5 30-06 Calif. Laural stock, 240 Mark 5, 257 Mark 5, MarkV thumbhole stock on a USA 257 & 300 Mark 5 24" and 300 Mark 5 26", 338-06 LTW, USA Mark 5 26" 340, Mark 5 375 H&H Classic. MarkXXII Tube 22, MarkXXII Clip 22, New MKII 22 RF and MKII 17 Hmr. CFP 223 1 of 41.
    H&R .223, H&R 20GA
    Rugar 77k .204
    Marlin Thumbhole 17VSB
    WTB Wthby Christmas Cards,Bullet Displays, ETC.

Default Re: Another Stuck Bolt on Weatherby

Thank you. I will check that tonight.
    Ken

300 WBY MAG Mark V Accumark Outfitter Stock Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14 44
    300 WBY MAG Mark V Euromark Leupold VARI-XIII 3.5x10 x40
    257 WBY MAG Mark V ULW Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14 44
    30-06 Husqvarna Zeiss Conquest

Ken, if the rear action screw is the problem, all you have to do is loosen it a turn and the bolt will free up. If that doesn't do it, sometimes scope base screws are just long enough to make the bolt hard to operate.

If it's the action screw, grind about 1 thread off and polish the raw end. If it's mount screws, don't take any more than you absolutely have to off of them to free up the bolt.

Anyone disassembling a Mk V bolt has to watch for the ball bearing falling out. It can drop out after you unscrew the firing pin assembly only about 2 turns.

I haven't seen a Wby bolt without grease, but I know of one that wouldn't fire in Colorado at -15 deg F. The hunter tried the 3 rds in the rifle + 2 (warm ones) in his pocket. On later examination, none had a pin strike. The hunter and his guide verified that the safety was off after the first rd failed to fire. Also, the bolt extracted and ejected the unfired rds so it couldn't have been on safe. It was a new rifle and had been sighted in in Texas without problem. Warmed up that night in the cabin, it worked fine. My nephew then disassembled the bolt for the owner. The interior of the bolt was chock full of grease. He washed it out with WD-40. (The only aerosol solvent available). Next day, in similar temperature, it functioned just like it was supposed to. Bad news for a Bull Elk.

I recommend that any rifle bolt be disassembled, cleaned and lightly greased before ever shooting it. It seems improbable that even a bolt full of grease could stop a firing pin from falling, but at that temperature, the grease apparently was solid enough to do just that. However unlikely, cleaning that gob of grease out did fix it.

Maybe this will help somebody, Tom
    Last edited by TRE Custom; 04-03-2009 at 00:26. Reason: add also
    "The abuse of anything is not good, but it ain't necessarily bad" Brother Dave Gardner

I've never had a stuck bolt, however I had a "housekeeping" problem a number of years ago. My .300WM is a German Model and quite old. I had hunted one morning with my son and afterwards we got together to go to the truck-Chevy at that time, Smokin!! ( No game!) Anyway, as we were standing together getting ready to unload I took the safe off to unload the chamber and the gun fired!!! My Dad had raised me beating in the importance of safety and carrying on that training I obviously had the gun pointed towards the ground in a safe direction. This did not save me from messing my pants. A .300WM is very opiniated when it goes off and even more so when you completely do not expect it. We were both dazed to say the least. I immediately took the gun to my Gunsmith to find out it was only a problem with the trigger assembly being dirty and mis-maintained.

This only point's out to me that cleanliness is next to Godliness when it comes to guns. Bolts, trigger assemblies, barrels, etc. We really need to take care of our toys and they will take care of us.

Just passing this on for what it's worth. It was quite an experience that I do not wish to repeat. Sometimes they won't fire and sometimes they WILL!!

God Bless
    Mark
    Psalm 23

.17HMR Mark XXII; .22-250 Vanguard Sporter
    .220 SVM "Rocket"
    .224 Mark V SVM; .240 Mark V ULW
    .257 Mark V Lazermark; .257 Mark V Silhouette Thumbhole; .25-300 Custom5 Panel Lazermark
    .270 Mark V Lazermark; .270 Mark V 5 Panel Lazermark
    7MM Mark V 5 Panel Lazermark
    .300 Mark V Deluxe; .300 Mark V Accumark; .300 Mark V Deluxe
    .30-378 Mark V Fibermark
    .30-378 Mark V Accumark Custom
    .338-378 Mark V Accumark Stainless Composite
    .340 Mark V Deluxe; .340 Mark V Deluxe Thumbhole
    .375 Mark V Custom
    .375 H&H Mark V Custom
    .378 Mark V Deluxe
    .416 Mark V Lazermark
    .460 Mark V Deluxe
    Athena Grade III 20Ga. O/U

If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops, please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

'No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'

-- Ronald Reagan

Talking Re: Another Stuck Bolt on Weatherby

Quote Originally Posted by mark81253 View Post
    I've never had a stuck bolt, however I had a "housekeeping" problem a number of years ago. My .300WM is a German Model and quite old. I had hunted one morning with my son and afterwards we got together to go to the truck-Chevy at that time, Smokin!! ( No game!) Anyway, as we were standing together getting ready to unload I took the safe off to unload the chamber and the gun fired!!! My Dad had raised me beating in the importance of safety and carrying on that training I obviously had the gun pointed towards the ground in a safe direction. This did not save me from messing my pants. A .300WM is very opiniated when it goes off and even more so when you completely do not expect it. We were both dazed to say the least. I immediately took the gun to my Gunsmith to find out it was only a problem with the trigger assembly being dirty and mis-maintained.

This only point's out to me that cleanliness is next to Godliness when it comes to guns. Bolts, trigger assemblies, barrels, etc. We really need to take care of our toys and they will take care of us.

Just passing this on for what it's worth. It was quite an experience that I do not wish to repeat. Sometimes they won't fire and sometimes they WILL!!
    Mark do you still have that German 300? If so you might want to upgrade the trigger as the Germans had a pot metal in the mechanics. Wisners gun parts on the web makes a repair kit for the German triggers and it cures a lot of trigger problems...Pat
    Wthby Memorbilia Collector and TRADER of Wthby items.
    22.250 Varmetmaster 26" German, Mark5 30-06 Calif. Laural stock, 240 Mark 5, 257 Mark 5, MarkV thumbhole stock on a USA 257 & 300 Mark 5 24" and 300 Mark 5 26", 338-06 LTW, USA Mark 5 26" 340, Mark 5 375 H&H Classic. MarkXXII Tube 22, MarkXXII Clip 22, New MKII 22 RF and MKII 17 Hmr. CFP 223 1 of 41.
    H&R .223, H&R 20GA
    Rugar 77k .204
    Marlin Thumbhole 17VSB
    WTB Wthby Christmas Cards,Bullet Displays, ETC.

Pat- Thanks. Still got her. Every since I had it cleaned and keep attention to it never had a problem since. Killed a couple of caibou with her since. Problem solved as long as I pay attention to housekeeping.

God Bless
    Mark
    Psalm 23

.220 SVM "Rocket"
    .257 Mark V Lazermark; .257 Mark V Silhouette Thumbhole; .25-300 Custom5 Panel Lazermark
    .30-378 Mark V Fibermark
    .375 Mark V Custom
    .375 H&H Mark V Custom
    .378 Mark V Deluxe
    .416 Mark V Lazermark
    .460 Mark V Deluxe

If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops, please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

'No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'

-- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by TRE Custom View Post
    If that doesn't do it, sometimes scope base screws are just long enough to make the bolt hard to operate.
    Bingo!!! It was a scope base mount screw that was a bit too long. I mean just a bit. I compared it with the screws I had for a Leupold base mount and the overall length was the same but the depth of the head on the Leupold screw was just a bit deeper so the thread portion was just a bit shorter. What a relief!!

Thanks.
    Ken

300 WBY MAG Mark V Accumark Outfitter Stock Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14 44
    300 WBY MAG Mark V Euromark Leupold VARI-XIII 3.5x10 x40
    257 WBY MAG Mark V ULW Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14 44
    30-06 Husqvarna Zeiss Conquest

Ken- It would seem to me that the screw might score up the bolt in that case. Or is the metal on the bolt so much better than the screw that it didn't? I know that every time I mount a new scope on a rifle I purposely feel the top of the bolt housing just to make sure this doesn't happen. Guess I'm a worry wart.

Glad the problem is fixed. Happy shooting!!

God Bless
    Mark
    Psalm 23

.220 SVM "Rocket"
    .30-378 Mark V Fibermark
    .375 Mark V Custom
    .375 H&H Mark V Custom
    .378 Mark V Deluxe
    .416 Mark V Lazermark
    .460 Mark V Deluxe

-- Ronald Reagan

Talking Re: Another Stuck Bolt on Weatherby

The Mk V bolts are hard! I would guess around 45 Rockwell C, or scientifically speaking, somewhere between woodpecker lips and a hammered cat turd. Doesn't surprise me that base screws might not make an obvious mark on them.

Glad you found the problem, Tom
    "The abuse of anything is not good, but it ain't necessarily bad" Brother Dave Gardner

"somewhere between woodpecker lips and a hammered cat turd"
    LMFAO- Being an engineer this has just got to become one of my frequently used tachnical terms. To hell with Rockwell.......

God Bless
    Mark
    Psalm 23

.220 SVM "Rocket"
    .30-378 Mark V Fibermark
    .375 Mark V Custom
    .375 H&H Mark V Custom
    .378 Mark V Deluxe
    .416 Mark V Lazermark
    .460 Mark V Deluxe

-- Ronald Reagan