Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good scope for the 300 Weatherby?

Default What is a good scope for the 300 Weatherby?

I have read, some scopes don't hold up if used on the 300 wby. What is everyone else using? I have a simmons and was told by a guy I know, who is a gun dealer, to through it away and buy one of the more common named scopes (he mentioned several, just can't remember them all) scopes.

Default Re: What is a good scope for the 300 Weatherby?

Yeah, I have a 300 WBY with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14 40 with QR mounts. No problems whatsoever. Hope this helps.

l put a Nightforce NSX 2.5-10x24 NP1 on my 300 Accumark Gotta start shooting that rifle a bit more
    Cheers
    Jack

Gods country.
    The sunshine state.
    Queensland Australia.

Come visit our home. A site with an ozzy twist and a liking for weatherbies. And a bit of just hangin shit on each other Tellem Jack sent ya
    http://www.aussieferalhunters.com/sm...46824ff54b;www

Come and have a look at our new on line shooting magazine http://www.hunters-aim.com/

I don't know which model Simmons you have, but have have a Swarvo AV 6-18x50mm ($1300) on my 7mm Accu. As far as the Simmons line, I have 2 Whitetail Classics 6-20x50mm (about $120), one on a 270 Win Vanguard, and one on a .257 WM Vanguard. Can you tell the diffierence visually....yes, but definitely NOT 12X the difference ... nothing wrong with those Whitetails.
    And I keep one around as a spare, when MIdwayUSA has them for $110, like for this month of July 2009.
    Just my .02
    .300 Wby Mark V Deluxe
    .270 Win Vanguard Back Country
    .243 Win Browning BLR

You can always try it, but it will likely eventually let go on you. Consider a mid-grade and up scope, like the Nikon Buckmaster, Burris FullField II, or my personal favorite, the Bushnell Elite 3200 series, or anything above those. If you have the coin, I recommend a Monarch, Elite 4200, Leupold VX3, or Zeiss Conquest. I've looked through them all and the Zeiss is the best deal going on scopes right now, but the price of entry is well above $400 for most of them. Great glass, though. Look for demo sales and sometimes you can get a great deal on one.
    "Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

"I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work." - from The Auburn Creed, Dr. George Petrie

Hello msat, welcome to the forum! I definately know about your scope concerns, I have a 300 and have had and seen bad things happen with scopes on 300 Wbys without a brake. I personally had a Simmons Pro 50 shake loose internally years ago while shooting at a bull elk at 50 yds, did not even hit the animal! Three guys in my hunting party all use 300 Wbys with Leupold VX 3.5-10X50s each guys has been through at least two scope repairs after internals shaking loose, several elk missed as a result as well. After my Simmons failed, I decided to do some research and spends some money so that didn't happen again, here is what I found and my 2 cents worth. I went with the Shepherd Riflescope, www.shepherdscopes.com. I wanted a scope that I could shoot long range but found that these things have dual reticles that verify that you are still zeroed. They also have far fewer internal workings to fail than other scopes do. When I make a windage or elevation adjustment, I can actually see my reticle move, now that was peace of mind for me. To date, I have fired in the neighborhood of 500+ full house, high recoil, non braked rounds through my gun with not so much as a 1/4 minute of movement in my reticle that I didn't put it. Also the optics quality has been great! So, if your main concern is reliablility on a high recoil gun, you've heard my #1 pick! Certainly there are other great scopes such as Nightforce, Zeiss and Swarovski. Once again just my experience and 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
    I have read, some scopes don't hold up if used on the 300 wby. What is everyone else using? I have a simmons and was told by a guy I know, who is a gun dealer, to through it away and buy one of the more common named scopes (he mentioned several, just can't remember them all) scopes.
    Scmidt and Bender Klassic 3-12x42.
    .243 Win Tikka T3
    .270 Win Cooper 52
    .30.06 Springfield Cooper 52
    .300 Wby Ed Brown Bushveld
    .375 H&H Winchester Safari Express

Just finished some range work with an IOR 6-24x50 35mm SF Tactical Scope Illuminated MP-8 Dot Reticule and am 'off the scale' impressed with it!

Last detail was at 1200yards and the sight picture was beautifully clear and crisp.

As ever depends what you want to do but I would definitely consider IOR as they are some of the best value for money scopes out there at the mo...

As for construction - well - if I ever get stuck for a hammer!.....

WOW! Thanks everyone. Looks like the magnums need the high priced scopes. Just can't see spending 1K plus for a scope to use a couple times a year. I'll look into down sizing to a 270 or something so I can get a scope I can afford.

Thanks again, it has been educational. Should have looked before I leaped!

don't need to spend 1k to get a scope. you can get scopes ranging from 300-600 bucks no need to downsize the gun.