Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Weatherby Finish Help.

Default Removing Weatherby Finish Help.

I am thinking about acquiring a Lazermark stock with a cracked finish. I have searched online and have been reading the only way to remove a Weatherby gloss finish is by scraping it off. Has anyone had any success with chemical strippers?
    NOTHING SHOOTS FLATTER, HITS HARDER OR IS MORE ACCURATE.

Default Re: Removing Weatherby Finish Help.

I have refinished a very nice old oak table and chairs that had been in a house fire with JASCO stripper. Its pretty nasty stuff. It will strip just about anthing including skin if you are not careful. It worked great on that stuff. As far as a rifle stock it should work. I know with the lazer mark it has some very detailed carvings into it so that could be a little tricky but with some time and and being careful it might work.

3. Default Re: Removing Weatherby Finish Help.

I have talked to a professional stockmaker.
    He claims that the ONLY proper way is with heat and hand tools.
    The lacquer finish goes into the poores of the wood, so it is difficult to get a good result.
    I guess a phone to Jeff Roller at Accurate Innovations, Inc. can tell you how to do it.
    He has stripped piles of Wby stocks.

LINK:

RUM = Poor Man's Weatherby!

Quote Originally Posted by 340 Weatherby View Post
    I have talked to a professional stockmaker.
    He claims that the ONLY proper way is with heat and hand tools.
    The lacquer finish goes into the poores of the wood, so it is difficult to get a good result.
    I guess a phone to Jeff Roller at Accurate Innovations, Inc. can tell you how to do it.
    He has stripped piles of Wby stocks.

LINK:
    There's a guy here in Ohio that has a whole truck load of Weatherby factory stocks that he refinishes and sells on Gun Broker and he told me he strips them with a heat gun. FWIW

Disreguard what I said above. Sounds like these guys know more of what they are talking about good luck.
    Last edited by 300 ultralight; 12-03-2009 at 05:47. Reason: why not

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by natehunts View Post
    I am thinking about acquiring a Lazermark stock with a cracked finish. I have searched online and have been reading the only way to remove a Weatherby gloss finish is by scraping it off. Has anyone had any success with chemical strippers?
    I've posted this technique several times but can never find it when I need to reference it!!

Anyway, I've done this many times for my guns and for the guns of friends; rifles and shotguns.

Yes, the stripping gel does work. Yes, it is safe to use indoors because there are no toxic fumes. You need to get the orange gel. I keep forgetting the name.

Personally, I would not use heat because that can also cause the polyurethane to seep deeper into the pores of the wood. The pores will expand a bit and allow the gel to penetrate deeper. You'll find that the pores of the stock are not completely filled after the polyurethane is stripped off.

The key is patience. The key patience.

Tape off the barrel channel and seal off the action area inside the stock.

Remove the recoil pad.

Use a large plastic storage bin in the neighborhood of 48" L x 18" W x 8" D. They sell them in the Home Organizing areas at places like Home Depot, etc....

Work on one section at a time and allow the gel to work before stripping off with a blunt scraper. A putty knife is perfect. Several applications may be necessary in each section.

DO NOT USE A RAZOR EDGED TOOL!!!! You WILL leave cut marks that will be extremely difficult to sand off when it comes time to apply the oil finish.

Keep working and be careful around the checkering. the most difficult areas will be in and around the pistol grip and the section above the forend checkering along the edge of the forend.

After the polyurethane is completely removed, begin the sanding process.

After the stock is completely sanded, assess whether the checkering needs to be recut. In most cases it will. A Lasermark stock is much easier to work with because there are no points in the checkering to try and preserve.

Attach a recoil pad and sand it completely smooth with the stock. You can't simply attach the old one because the polyurethane finish takes up surface space and the pad will now sit slighty proud of the stock. Besides, you'll more than likely have to cut the old pad off.

An oil finish is the best way to go and that is a completely different topic area of which there is no room to describe here. I was taught a technique used by Griffin & Howe. An oil finish is very durable, waterproof, is easily repaired, and is the only way to bring forth the true color and nature of the grain to the surface. It does this because an oil finish is part of the stock and doesn't sit on its surface. An oil finish develops over the years and results in a look that is unparalled.

I hope this helps to get you started.
    Last edited by JB257460; 12-04-2009 at 12:07.
    All Weatherby, All the Time

.257 Wby Mark V Oil Lasermark - Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44
    .270 Wby Mark V Stainless Fluted McMillan - Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44
    .300 Wby Mark V Stainless McMillan - Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40
    .338 WM Rem. 700 XCR McMillan - Schmidt & Bender 3-12x42
    .340 Wby Mark V Oil Deluxe - Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40
    .375 H&H Mauser M03 - VXIII 1.75-6x32
    .416 Wby Mark V Deluxe - VXIII 1.75-6x32 HD

Have you thought about asking Mr. Pat first? Maybe he has a beat on a nice lazermark that you could get for a good deal.
    Matt

Collection of Arms

Glock 17 9 mm Parabellum

Thanks for the advice. Accurate innovations told me to use a chemical also but didn't name any good ones. Does anyone remember any names of chemical strippers that work on that finish?
    NOTHING SHOOTS FLATTER, HITS HARDER OR IS MORE ACCURATE.

guest Guest

1000s of ways to skin a Cat

+1 on JASCO stripper Gold can red writting, buy it at Acehardware works great!

Jasco is excellent, but I can't get it local. I use Stripezze, very volitale put really works.
    ULW .240WBY
    FiberAlaskanDGRMark.300wby