Thread: 6.5 wby wildcat vs 270 wby

Default 6.5 wby wildcat vs 270 wby

I am looking at having a custom gun made for hunting bean fields (deer sized game out to 500 yards). My first thought was to have it chambered for my alltime fav 270 wby mag. But the smith that is going to make my rifle is trying to talk me into a wildcat round, the 6.5 wby mag. It uses a necked down 270 wby brass. Anyone have any info on this cartrage?

Default Re: 6.5 wby wildcat vs 270 wby

Change gunsmiths
    ULW .240WBY
    Stainless custom 6.5x284
    Stainless Lt Wt .30-06

I don't think Mr McWhorter would like that. So you think I should stay with 270 wby or 257 wby? The reason I was looking at the 6.5 is that it is flatter than the 270 or the 257.

guest Guest

I would stick with the 270 wby, im guessing but there would be little gain with the 6.5mm, as in how flat it shoots over the 270 WBY. and I would say the 257 WBY would be a little flatter shooting than the wildcat 6.5 WBY because of lighter bullet weights in the 257

Consider, as well, you'll get a better selection of published, tested load data for the two factory rounds, making it a little easier on you as far as loading goes. Also, I think there are better/more bullet choices by a smidgeon in both .277 and .257 than there are in .264. Maybe I'm wrong on that, though.

In all reality, I don't think you'll gain much, if anything, and you'll have all the difficulty of forming brass and being totally unable to use factory ammo. According to McWhorter's own data, you're probably looking at something like a 130gr Nosler Accubond going about 3375fps at the muzzle. Heck, that's not quite pedestrian compared to the 3500fps I'm getting from a 130gr Hornady Interbond in my 270W, but it's not going to produce 600lbs more energy, I don't think.

If you want the perfect rifle, for just about everything that's not going to eat you first, and will do in a pinch for that, get a 300Wby (in my opinion). If you want the perfect hooved animal rifle, take a look at the 270Wby. It's a real dream to shoot, components are readily available off the shelf, and I've not had any issues with velocity or energy.

Also, longranger, where in Alabama are you? I'm up in Huntsville.
    "Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

"I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work." - from The Auburn Creed, Dr. George Petrie

Congrats on your deep pockets if you are dealing with McWhorter's.

If you are considering shoots to only 500yds, either of these will work fine as well as a .308, .30'06, .243............better yet a .260

The only, ONLY possible advantage the 6.5 would have is potentially better match/target grade bullets. With BNerger making bullets in .257 and .277 as well......who cares. The down side of no load data and have to form cases is a huge negating negative.

Curious what you are using for optics ????
    ULW .240WBY
    Stainless custom 6.5x284
    Stainless Lt Wt .30-06

7. Default Re: 6.5 wby wildcat vs 270 wby

A friend has a 6.5Wby. And it is the 270Wby necked down to 6.5.
    He has used it in Africa on plains game. It performed just great.
    If I remember correct he is spitting 140grs pills @3100fps.
    It's a sweet shooting rifle, but I prefer the 270Wby as a killing machine.
    6.5 is a bit on the small side in Africa.
    Just my 2 cents.

RUM = Poor Man's Weatherby!

If you are going to stay with the 257/270/7mm class of cases I would say there would be little advantage to a 6.5mm WBY wildcat...the above posters have covered it pretty well. There are better match bullets in 6.5 mm and they have a marginally better S.D. as well but with the new homogeneous bullets like the TSX this is a relative non issue.

If on on the other hand you want to do something really unique a 6.5/300 Weatherby would make a fine Long Range Hunting rifle in my humble opinion.

I like to walk the path less traveled myself though and there would certainly be nothing wrong with a .264 Weatherby as far as performance went.

Keep us posted whatever you decide.

I understand there is a bit of a gap there and i get it.
    I have a 6.5x55 load for it and there is a good bullet selection.
    But it is a hard sell to me, what about a 264 Wenchester mag.

Daveo
    Mark V Accumark .280 Rem.
    Mark V Super Varmintmaster.308 Win
    Mark V Threat Responce rifle .308 Win
    Mauser Custom 6.5x55 Swedish

The 6.5 is the caliber Weatherby should have come up with on their own. Ballistically similar to the 7mm with a lot less recoil. With 140's you still have over 1000ft. pounds of energy at 1000 yards. You can easily get 3250fps out of the 140's too. It has the be the perfect deer round. I killed deer at 650 yards with mine this year. it is just awesome!