Thread: Vanguard VGX Deluxe ?

Default Vanguard VGX Deluxe ?

I have a 300 Weatherby Vanguard Made in Japan w/ serial# VX31XXX. Beautiful wood bought from gun dealer used? around mid to late 80's. What can you tell me about age, twist rate of barrel, etc. Looks to have had action bedded. I recently had barrel floated,Timney 3pos. safety trigger installed set at 3lb. 12oz.and Limbsaver recoil pad. Am starting w/Nosler 125 gr. Ballistic tips to get used to the recoil. W/limbsaver pad its like a 243! Would appreaceate any info. that anyone could tell me about this as well as suggested wts. for larger game that would shoot best w/this twist rate! Thank you for your time as I am new to lloading for longer range.

Default Re: Vanguard VGX Deluxe ?

Great rifle and action is smooth! I have one in 25-06 and also one that I custom barreled and stocked in 6mmbr. Love em both.

Some one can correct me if I am wrong, but I would guess it is a 1 in 10 twist. So I would look into larger bullets especially for longer shots. My self I would not load smaller than a 168 and I would prefer a 180, 190 or a 210. For shots out to 500 yrds I would load a 190 or 210 Berger.

Jeff
    Lucky ...Is when Preparation and Opportunity Come Together

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." - Ted Nugent

Have some Barnes 180gr. MRX boattail .308's to try. Have never loaded Barnes copper bullets before and was worried about copper fouling. Would running Moly paste on a patch before firing for the first few rounds help reduce fouling? Have been told MRX bulets have a Silvex (denser than lead) core w/Delrin tip, 180's are supposed to compare to equal 210 gr. lead core. Will try larger bullets with this 1 in 10 twist barrel.

It's pretty easy to find your barrel twist. Use a 30cal jag and a good patch (so it will spin with the rifling as you push it through. Put some masking tape on the cleaning rod near the handle, and set things up in a cradle or on a table where the gun won't move. Then Mark (with tape and marker) where the masking taped part of the rod is over the table/cleaning area. Also, place a mark at top-dead-center of the tape on the cleaning rod. Push the rod into the barrel and when the mark comes back to TDC, measure the distance the taped mark on the rod moved versus the marked place on the table/bench. Do this five or six times and see how consistent it is. It might help to use two patches on the jag if it's loose. Once you have a few fairly consistent measurements, you should know what your twist is.

As for the copper barnes bullets, I've shot them and they are good shooters, but they do foul more than gilding metal in every gun I've shot them in. The amount of fouling is variable from one gun to the next, but it's always more than gilding metal jackets. You'll just have to try them and see if you like them. Regarding the MRX hitting like a heavier bullet, that seems to defy the laws of physics a bit. Consider there are two primary measurements that matter with regard to how a bullet "hits" an animal. First, you can take your pick between momentum (mass x velocity) and kinetic energy (mass x velocity squared). I prefer momentum as it gives equal emphasis to mass, and I believe, based on my experiences in the bowhunting realm, that momentum is more important that KE in terms of penetration. Either way, as long as you compare the same value across the board, you'll get a valid comparison. So, if you look at a 180gr bullet, it will have the same energy and momentum at the muzzle, launched at any given velocity. A 210gr bullet will have a higher energy and momentum, if launched at the same velocity. The trick is, one can usually launch a 180gr bullet significantly faster than a 210gr, but that doesn't make a 180 with a silvex core (which is basically a tungsten alloy, if I remember correctly) and different in comparison to the 210 than a traditional lead core or solid copper/gilding metal 180gr bullet.

Taking a different approach to the thought process, I consider the 180gr bullet the ideal weight for the 300Wby, across the board. Use something like an Accubond, E-Tip, GMX, Interbond, Scirocco, Partition, TSX/TTSX/MRX, or the like, and you'll have more than satisfactory results in everything from white-tails to elk, moose, and the like. Is it a little heavy for white-tails? Sure, but it will knock them down with authority, so no worries there. It will also take the larger stuff with excellent results. All this is, of course, pending good shot placement. I recently worked with a 300Wby and my ultimate goal was to find an accurate 180gr bullet/powder combination that was running something like 3200fps at the muzzle. That result was accomplished, and now it's down to pretty much shooting the loads that worked well to see which makes the long-term cut. The fact that my buddy said I can hold on to the rifle until he needs it is just gravy for me...
    "Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

"I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work." - from The Auburn Creed, Dr. George Petrie

Now that's a real buddy!! However having someone work up a load for your rifle would be considered a real friend also.Your explanation sounds like I should have thought it through a little more. I guess for every action there is an EQUAL and oppisite reaction. 180 =180 not 210. Was told the silvex core was more dense than lead or copper, but didn't think there is more lead or copper to make 180 gr. still all are equal at 180 gr. Now just need to find a 180 gr. load for my .300 Weatherby .Enjoy reloading but just starting, so working up a load may be slow.Reading and knowing what to take as real takes some thought, not just jumping in on someones word. Thanks for the heads up! Hoping to shoot longer distance so I know everything has to be just right and the same every time. 180's at 3200fps is only listed in my Barnes #4 Manual w/ Max load 84.5 grs. of RL 22 =3202fps.102% load density.Looks like I need more books. Sounds like a great load for the .300!! Any suggestion on powders for the 180gr?Thanks again, good luck finding the sweet spot! A max load for a Barnes TSX/TTSXMRX or the like in 180gr. still safe for gilded metal 180gr. bullet? Just wondered with the grooves spaced down the bullet will this reduce cup pressure?Are these barnes loads just for their bullets?Sorry I ramble on sometimes when I am not sure of something which is all the time.
    Last edited by Tirador; 05-16-2010 at 00:02.