Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .300 Wby Recoil

Default Re: .300 Wby Recoil

The 300 Weatherby has a much sexier case then a 300 Win Mag. That alone is a major consideration.

I got my Vanguard on clearance at Wally-World for $299. Getting a 300 Winnie wasn't an option.
    I went to a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock. It comes with a Decelerator recoil pad so recoil isn't an issue. I handload so i'm not paying $50 a box for ammo.

Handloading allows me to go out and "plink" with this gun.

ZM

Blog Entries

I loved the side by side photo comparing the .300 Wby Mag. cartridge to the
    .300 Win. Mag. cartridge!! How can anyone compare the two as equals after seeing such strong photographic evidence......That photo says it all!!!!!
    "Hey Winchester! Here's your cartridge..........and here's your cartridge on steroids!"
    Last edited by JB257460; 03-04-2007 at 17:34.
    All Weatherby, All the Time

.257 Wby Mark V Oil Lasermark - Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44
    .270 Wby Mark V Stainless Fluted McMillan - Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44
    .300 Wby Mark V Euromark - Swarovski 3-10x42
    .300 Wby Mark V Stainless McMillan - Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40
    .338 WM Rem. 700 XCR McMillan - Schmidt & Bender 3-12x42
    .340 Wby Mark V Oil Deluxe - Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40
    .375 H&H Mauser M03 - VXIII 1.75-6x32
    .416 Wby Mark V Deluxe - VXIII 1.75-6x32 HD

Blog Entries

Ha Ha Ha... ROFLMAO...

What an excellent picture !!!!!

A picture says it all....

Ken.....
    "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession; I have
    learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Heat View Post
    Ha Ha Ha... ROFLMAO...

What an excellent picture !!!!!

A picture says it all....

Ken.....
    That's a 17HMR next to a 300 WBY. Got really bored one day and decided to play with the camera.

ZM

Blog Entries

Yea, I know!!! I just thought I'd have some fun with the whole Weatherby superiority thing! Even though that was a .17HMR, that photo still sums up my thoughts about Weatherby vs. the others!!!
    All Weatherby, All the Time

.257 Wby Mark V Oil Lasermark - Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44
    .270 Wby Mark V Stainless Fluted McMillan - Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44
    .300 Wby Mark V Euromark - Swarovski 3-10x42
    .300 Wby Mark V Stainless McMillan - Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40
    .338 WM Rem. 700 XCR McMillan - Schmidt & Bender 3-12x42
    .340 Wby Mark V Oil Deluxe - Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40
    .375 H&H Mauser M03 - VXIII 1.75-6x32
    .416 Wby Mark V Deluxe - VXIII 1.75-6x32 HD

Thanks guys for all the feedback.I didn't realize how much smaller the .300 Win. cartridge is compared to the Weatherby.(picture-kidding).I'm going to go with the Weatherby cartridge.Now I just have to decide between wood or composite.
    Does anyone have an opinion on whether felt recoil is different between the two stocks?I noticed in the specs that the composite is about 4 oz. lighter.
    Chris B.

Blog Entries

Wood or composite.... That, I think, is a personal choice...

My rifles are hunting rifles and for that reason I prefer stainless and composite... The wood certainly looks better and in reality will handle the elements pretty much as well as the composite if it is properly treated... Blued barrel will also handle the elements you just need to make sure, if it gets wet, that you give it a good cleaning...

Felt recoil is about several things and the weight of the rifle is included in that... Heavier rifle, less felt recoil....

Ken....
    "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession; I have
    learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by pahuntnut View Post
    the title of your thread is 300 weatherby recoil. According to Chuck Hawks recoil table the 300 weatherby has 24.6 lbs of recoil energy, the 300 Win Mag has 25.9. Suck it up, put the money down and remember your wife can only get so mad. So do it, get the Weatherby.
    Excuse me, but that data is comparing a 180 gr in the Win Mag to a 150 gr in the Wby Mag. The Weatherby with a 180 gr has 31.6 ft-lbs versus the 25.9 in the Win Mag, and that's with a half pound heavier gun in the Wby than the Win. Mag., which further 'softens' the recoil in the Wby. So, shooting the same weight bullet and the same weight gun, the 300 Wby will recoil harder than the Win Mag. BUT it will also generate almost 300 fps more velocity and thus deliver more energy to the target, and with an apparent accuracy advantage as well.

300's recoil too hard for me, and fortunately, I do not hunt anything requiring the payload they deliver.
    Last edited by Willy Huson; 08-29-2007 at 03:35.

I own a 300 WBY Vanguard and after considerable practice am starting to shrink groups, to about 1". Have loaded for 300 Win mag for a friend's BAR. A nice piece, but really took some work to get groups of 1 1/2". What sold me on the Weatherby Mag was the symetry and euclidian elegance of Roy's design. I don't really think that a mule deer or an elk will resent the difference in ballistics in either cartridge. The difference in recoil between the Vanguard and BAR is quite noticeable. I think the Bar is a desirable piece, but requires a different loading than the rounds to be fired from a bolt action, and small base dies also. So my real life experience the Win Mag is limited to a slightly downloaded version, though I wouldn't care to be shot with either. On other rifle forums you will encounter some bashing of anything Weatherby, but I believe it's a combination of ignorance and envy. You can't go wrong with anything Weatherby, no matter what the Ruger, Winchester, or Remington boys have to say, I have shot them all , and all quite servicable, but they are not Weatherbys.

All quality factory ammo costs alot. Why not spend 5-10$ extra and get the best? I have a 300wby in a vanguard, evidentally it is 60-100fps slower than it's bigger brother the Mark V. Barrel length obviously makes some difference. The only problem I had was I mounted a non-quality scope on mine to start out (about 150$ I will leave out the company name) and couldn't get quality groups. When it was on I was sub moa at100yds!!!!! then it would go everywhere. Obviously a flaw in the innerworkings of my optics. I tried everything the fix it. I am getting a zeiss conquest to mount on it here soon and will no doubt be impressed. Overall the calliber is wonderfull and you will not be unhappy with your choice!!