Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The New 30 cal Berger 230 gr Tactical OTM Hybrid

Default Re: The New 30 cal Berger 230 gr Tactical OTM Hybrid

Just ordered some 230gr Tatical Otm Hybrids they are on the way. Just a question for you where would one start with H1000 in 30-378wby?

Wicked looking projectile. lf you get the results you desire, animals will be in trouble a looong way out. Good luck guys.
    Cheers
    Jack

Gods country.
    The sunshine state.
    Queensland Australia.

Come visit our home. A site with an ozzy twist and a liking for weatherbies. And a bit of just hangin shit on each other Tellem Jack sent ya
    http://www.aussieferalhunters.com/sm...46824ff54b;www

Come and have a look at our new on line shooting magazine http://www.hunters-aim.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Toad340 View Post
    Just ordered some 230gr Tatical Otm Hybrids they are on the way. Just a question for you where would one start with H1000 in 30-378wby?
    Toad340. It will be soft but I would start at 95 gr of H-1000 and work up 1 gr at a time till 98 gr then take 1/2 gr steps looking for an accuracy node.

You guys with the 30-378's , I feel these will take 3300 fps with a 1 in 10 twist and probably more. But if you exceed this speed look for flyers. I just don't know where they will come unglued. But heck, if I got good accuracy with them anywhere over 3000 in a 30-378 I would be a happy camper. Take accuracy at 300 yards over velocity!! A bullet with .711 BC at 3000 plus is one bad Mamma Jammer.

Jeff
    Lucky ...Is when Preparation and Opportunity Come Together

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." - Ted Nugent

well Jeff
    what is the verdict on these ?

Quote Originally Posted by michaln View Post
    well Jeff
    what is the verdict on these ?
    Sorry we have not had time to test. My son has two days off next week and is coming up to help me on the house. The plan is to load some up and shoot some 300 yard groups. If all that pans out good we will then shoot some at 700 and 1000.

I will take some pics and follow up then.

Jeff

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." - Ted Nugent

My son worked this load up yesterday. He shot it with his 300 win mag. Shot 1 and 3 are in the same oval hole at 150 yards. Velocity is from an Oehler chrono with a proof screen. ES is in the single digets. Now he is loading more for the long range testing.

Jeff

Broz, are you "single-shoting" these really long bullets? In my late-90's Mod 70 Black Shadow, I have to single shot 220 SMK's or seat them deep with IMR4350 to go into the magazine. They still shoot ok, but have no idea what the velocity is. Is anyone shooting these in bare bones 300 Wins?

TPI, in Daniels rifle we have hem seated deep in the case. Reason is the smith used a standard reamer. So they will feed in about any box, I would think. However they are only .014" off the lands when mearuring to the O-Give of the bullet. The Berger Hybrid design is said to be less sensitive to seating depths than the VLD's. This has been our experiences too. The ones in my 338 shoot the same groups at .015" off the lands as they do at .060" off.

Jeff

OK, Daniel finally got a day off work. So yesterday we took his 300 Win Mag out to test groups at distance with the new 230 Berger Hybrid OTM's. Daniel did a great job on the trigger end, he shot 3 shot groups at 300, 500 750 and 1000 yards. His largest group was just a tad over 5" and that was at 1000 yards. Most all groups were .5 moa or a bit less and right on his ballistic program ("Shooter" on his Droid X) . We have our annual palamino speed goat hunt next week. Antelope, be afraid, be very very afraid.

Next update will be expansion testing on tasty lil goats. Pics in a couple weeks.

Jeff

Good luck Jeff. Look forward to seeing the expansion results.
    Cheers
    Jack

Gods country.
    The sunshine state.
    Queensland Australia.

Come visit our home. A site with an ozzy twist and a liking for weatherbies. And a bit of just hangin shit on each other Tellem Jack sent ya
    http://www.aussieferalhunters.com/sm...46824ff54b;www

Come and have a look at our new on line shooting magazine http://www.hunters-aim.com/