Thread: bausch and lomb balvar scope

Default bausch and lomb balvar scope

any one out there know anything about these scopes? mine needs cleaning on the inside. seems a bit foggy and tiny bits of debris seem to be floating around.small scratches and a rectangular halo in the scope. it sits in a kuharscy mount on top of a mark v 300 mag.

Default Re: bausch and lomb balvar scope

I have one that I just inherited that sits on a Stith mount that is very odd but interesting mechanically. I know the old chap that had this rifle, and it was NOT treated with kid gloves. Scope is still clear. Amazing. I know very little about how scopes work, but this one appears it could be disassembled for overhaul if one wanted to.

I don't know who repairs them but I had a Balvar 8 that was fogging up. I sent it to Bushnell to look at and they sent me a new bushnell scope in return at no charge. It wasn't appropriate for my 300 Wby but worked nicely on my .243 Winchester.

Here is a link to a place in NY that seems to deal with alot of the B&L stuff. Maybe they could help.

http://www.hegibbs.com/scopes.htm

The scope is at least nearly 50 years old, built before 1963 if without knobs. I would imagine that the Buna N rubber o-rings that they used then are long gone. Probably no nitrogen in the tube now. If you are going to send it to Bushnell, I would not take it apart, just thinking about any warranty.
    CDR3

Partial list of arms:
    .340 Weatherby Mk. V Alaskan-Kahles 3.5-10x50 AH
    .338 Federal, Sako Model 85-Kahles 3-9x42 TDS AH
    .30-06 Win Model 70-Minox 2-10x40 ZA-5
    7mm RM, Mark X-Custom-Zeiss 5-15x40 Diavari V/VM
    .270 Custom Pre 64, Model 70 Super Grade-Swarovski 4-12x50 AV
    .204 Ruger, CZ Amer. 527-Leupold 4.5-14x40 AO VX-III
    .257 Roberts, FN Custom-Zeiss 2.5-8x32 Conquest