4. This poll is closed
  • Brno 8mm/378 Wby

1 25.00%
  • DPMS LR_308

3 75.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which gun to scope... putting it to a vote

Default Which gun to scope... putting it to a vote

Alright, so here's the situation. I have a dedicated 1000 yard rig that I take with me every time we go to the local range. That said, I'd like to have another gun to shoot for fun while the 6XC is cooling off. The problem is I have 2 guns, and only one scope.

One rifle is a Brno ZKK-602 in 8mm/378 Wby. The gun is an incredible shooter and I have no doubts would be a capable 1000 yard gun if I let it cool sufficiently, but it's still just a hunting rifle. That said, I'd love to have it set up as a dedicated long range hunting rig where I have the drops all set up and basically be able to dial in on anything I wanted, and pretty much any distance I wanted. The only problem is that I have not worked up a load yet with a sufficient long range bullet like the 196 gr. Hornady Match, or the Nolser Custom Comp, etc. Plus, it will still be a low volume rifle.

The other rifle is my dad's LR-308 which I have on semi-permanent loan while he's working up in Alaska. With Varget and 165 gr. Nosler BT's, the gun will shoot 1/2 MOA at 200 yards and beyond, even with the standard lightweight barrel. Up until the gun show Saturday, I haven't fooled with the rifle because I haven't had any Varget to load with. Fortunately I was able to nail down a couple of lbs and now I'm good to go. The downside for this rifle is that the 165's wont have the trajectory to make 1000 yards with a standard scope mount. I just wont have enough adjustment. I should however be able to eek out 750 yards, and of course 500 will be no problem. Basically this will be a shorter range, higher volume rig.

So here's the question... which gun do I throw the scope on? The gun that'll shoot to 1000 but I don't have a load for and I'd be starting from scratch. OR the gun that wont reach to 1000 but I do have a load for?

The scope is a Vortex Viper PST EBR-1 MOA (SFP)
    Last edited by Kingfisher; 09-15-2014 at 16:31.

Default Re: Which gun to scope... putting it to a vote

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    The downside for this rifle is that the 165's wont have the trajectory to make 1000 yards with a standard scope mount. I just wont have enough adjustment.
    I ran the numbers, and you'd need "about" 40 MOA drop, and if you get lucky and have half of your travel available you'll have 32.5.
    I would look at using Burris Signature rings to gain a bit more, and you'll probably be where you need to be.

As you can see, I'd go with the 308.

While the big 8mm will certainly reach out there, for sheer fun and easy shooting on your wallet, shoulder, and barrel, I'd scope up the 308 with some signature rings or a canted picatinny rail and have at it, just like Patrick said.
    Last edited by dubyam; 09-17-2014 at 15:34.
    "Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

"I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work." - from The Auburn Creed, Dr. George Petrie

10-4. The Vortex will ALMOST get there adjustment wise, but not quite. I thought about a canted rail. So I might go that route. I'll give it some additional thought.

I'm not sure how long you plan to keep the Vortex on the 308, or if you plan to swap it around at some point in the future, but if you're not thinking "permanent" you could easily (and cheaply) add the signature rings to your existing dovetail or weaver mount setup and get the offset inserts and plug in about 30MOA or so of additional elevation. I've used them on several rifles, and specifically used them to correct the crap QC of Leupold bases on Weatherby rifles in more than one instance, starting with my 270Wby.

"I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work." - from The Auburn Creed, Dr. George Petrie

Blog Entries

Since the 8mm/378 is yours "permanently" and it sounds like you would really like to have a 1000 yard plus hunting rig all set up for when you get the "itch" to plug something "wayyyyyyyyy" out there, I would go that route. You already have loads for the .308 so you can always tinker with that after you get the loads finalized for the big gun.

Dangit Charlie... why do you have to go mixing it up like that. Now I'm going to get all indecisive like a woman.

I've got Signature rings on several rifles, so that's a route I'm familiar with. Of course, I've already got a set of Burris Xtreme rings for it that should work and I can just *gasp* shim those, so that's another option for the AR-10. Either solution will have to wait a week or so for me to get some money back in the bank and decide where I need to put my money.

The only real downsides to the big 8mm are recoil and barrel life. Working up a load and practicing enough to be competent at 750-1000 will push you quickly toward a rebarrel for the old BRNO. If you're okay with that and the recoil, go for it. But if you're new to longer ranges, my bet is you'll want the lighter recoil and need the long barrel life for practice to improve your form and wind doping skills.

What twist rate is the 308?
    Lucky ...Is when Preparation and Opportunity Come Together

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." - Ted Nugent

Odd, my reply didn't take.

Broz, the DPMS is a 1:10, but the barrel is short and the velocities are pretty reasonable. I could go heavier, but I think it'll take me in the wrong direction.

Dubyam, I run my 6XC and a couple of other guns out to 1000 on a regular basis. Wind is always a challenge of course, but I've got the skills. Assuming that the gun can hold it's accuracy across longer distances with bullets like the Hornady Match or Nosler Custom Comp just like it did with the Nosler Partitions I used to load for it, it should perform very well. However... that consistency remains a question at this point. We'll just have to see what it'll do.

In the meantime, considering I've got all of the stuff on hand and a good load it looks like I'll probably get the scope moved over to the DPMS and load some rounds. That way I can atleast do some shooting in the meantime. Moving a scope is a giant PITA to me, but it's not the end of the world in the event I change my mind down the road.