Thread: Switching to heavy barrel on Vanguard Synthetic

Default Switching to heavy barrel on Vanguard Synthetic

I recently purchased my Vanguard Synthetic in 300 Win Mag. I am absolutley satisfied with it for now. However, I have already started to think about switching it to a heavy barrel in the future. I am looking at the Howa 1500 barreled action since that is what is currently in the rifle. Would switching to the heavy barreled action versus the #2 contour cause any fitment issues? I think I would also upgrade to the 5+1 capacity over the 3+1. Wondering if this would work with my current Vanguard stock.

Default Re: Switching to heavy barrel on Vanguard Synthetic

Odds are that you would have to open up the barrel channel to get it to fit.
    You may be able to buy a replacement stock, but I'd look at getting a B&C or other aftermarket stock if going to the point of rebarelling.

Thanks for the insight. Like I said, I just got the rifle, and don't know for sure as of now how often I will will actually shoot it. But with it only being a #2 contour barrel I'm already thinking into the future. It's going to be my dedicated hunting rifle here in NM, and as of yet haven't been into any other kind of shooting with it so maybe it will be fine.

For all my Vanguards I do a couple of things.
    Buy a B&C stock, bed them to that stock and remove the forend pressure pad in order to free float the barrel.
    If a "Series 1" then I replace the trigger with a Timney. If a Series 2 (i.e. newer one) I would adjust the trigger down to 2 pounds.

I have kept none of mine in the synthetic stock.