Thread: Loading out of Magazine Problem

Default Loading out of Magazine Problem

I have a MK V which was originally a 30-06 and it has been re-barreled in 6.5-284, it will load the first round out of the magazine but pushes the others anywhere but in the chamber.

The magazine box has been altered, the feed plate has been machined and the spring is past its sell by date.
    Are there any MK V spares anywhere in europe or the uk, as Weatherby US are not being very helpfull.

I wish to replace all three items and start from scratch again.
    Is there anyone who might be able to help.

2. Default Re: Loading out of Magazine Problem

You can order parts from Germany.
    Link: http://www.jehn.de
    They are supplying Europe with parts. I have ordered from them before with no issues at all!

Contact info: http://www.jehn.de/kontakt.php

RUM = Poor Man's Weatherby!

Default Re: Loading out of Magazine Problem

340 Weatherby
    Thank you for your reply, I have sent a message to the web adress you quoted and hopefully that will sort my problem.

The rifle shoots 10mm groups at 100mtrs but it is a stalking rifle and i need backup shots in case of a problem.

4. Default Re: Loading out of Magazine Problem

Ok, just to make sure: The rifle is a 9 lug MK V, or the "new" 6 lug?
    If it's a 6 lug I have no clue how to fix it.

If it's a 9 lug I would guess you have the magazine with a blind wall in the rear?
    It can be removed by hand, to fit the longer magnums in the 300 Wby family.
    You will need the shorter magazine made for the 257,270 and 7mm Wby, and the (magnum) follower for the same.
    This follower is shorter than a follower for 300Wby and up.
    I have no 6,5-284 to try the feeding, but I'm quite sure that's all needed to make it function.
    Looking on the drawings of the case it should feed in the short Wby family as is. (If the bolt hits the base of the case since it's rebated...)
    Last edited by 340 Weatherby; 04-17-2018 at 18:13.

Default Re: Loading out of Magazine Problem

Thanks for your answer yes it is a 9 lug and yes it has the removable plate in the back of the mag, I have sent an Email to the company you suggested but they have not replied as yet.
    The smith that rebarreled the rifle filed away the pushers on the top lip of the mag box as the cases would not fit through and also machined the plate to get the cases to sit higher because of the rebated rear ring on the case, and the spring is weak, so I am going to replace all 3 and start again, if I can find someone to supply the parts which at the moment is causing a problem.

6. Default Re: Loading out of Magazine Problem

My guess is that he tried to alter the original 30-06 magazine box and follower. That's a tall order since the new cartridge has magnum dimensions. No wonder it's not working.
    But, I'm quite sure all will work just getting the "magnum" parts.