Thread: 375 Weatherby build

Default 375 Weatherby build

I have always wanted a 375 Weatherby but since they have not been made for many years they are hard and expensive to find. I would also prefer it on a Mark V action.
    What would be the best route in obtaining a "donor" Mark V for this build.
    Would a 378 Weatherby action be too long for a 375 H&H case or a 375 Weatherby case?

Thanks

Default Re: 375 Weatherby build

My guess would be no.

375 Wby trim length is within 0.05” on Hodgdon recipe site.
    Coal was 0.1”-ish.

I didn’t check the shell holders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There isn't any difference in action length between the 375 and 378, but the bolt face will be too large for the 375, since the 378 is larger. Youd need a new bolt if you went that route.

Better option is to find a used 300Wby Mark V in relatively poor condition and buy it for as little as possible. Figure it is likely to run you $650-750 on the low end, but every now and then one shows up for $500 or $550. Getting rarer to see that, but if you have time and patience, you can find a good deal. A 257/270/7mm will work, but you'll need a new magazine box, follower, and spring, and you'll need the bolt travel slot lengthened.

Once you have the donor action, things get simple (but pricey) quickly.
    "Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

"I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work." - from The Auburn Creed, Dr. George Petrie

Would a Weatherby Mark V that is currently chambered in 375 H&H Magnum have 6 or 9 lug's?
    Would a re-chamber to 375 Weatherby be easily accomplished?
    If so, How would the barrel be re-marked from 375H&H to 375 Weatherby?

You should just be able to have that barrel rechambered, as the 375Wby is an improved 375H&H, in a manner of speaking.
    "Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

"I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work." - from The Auburn Creed, Dr. George Petrie

6. Default Re: 375 Weatherby build

Weatherby MK V from 257 to 460 is 9 lugs.
    The 6 lug is for standard calibers and the 240. (Older 240's and 30-06 etc was 9 lugs as well)

RUM = Poor Man's Weatherby!

I went round and round looking for a solution to build a 375.
    I finally after talking to Weatherby about building one decided to find a 375 Weatherby Mark V DGR. FOUND, used, a Shot Show sample unfired chambered in 375 Weatherby.

Now I have what I want except the Deluxe wood stock. A check to Weatherby will solve that problem. I will have a stock I can take out and not worry about and a wood stock I can admire.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want the 375 Weatherby?

It is my understanding that the 375 Weatherby is only about 100 fps faster than the 375 H&H, which is why Roy Weatherby designed the 378 Weatherby. He didn't get the performance he was after with the 375.

I do realize that 100 fps is nothing to scoff at & with hand loads you could probably get closer to 200 fps, Just curious.

Rob
    Education is expensive, be it university or emergency room

Mostly because it will shoot either the 375 Weatherby or the H&H.