Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: leica geovids

Default Re: leica geovids

I am happy that everyone has great opinions and lots to contribute here, I don't even own a range finder. I just use my Nikon binoculars and try to use my sense of perception, even if it is not great all the time.
    Matt

Collection of Arms

Glock 17 9 mm Parabellum

I own Swaro 10x42's and Leica LRF 800.. I use Geovids regulary and both buddies have 10x42's. Everyone has different eyes and honestly when we are talking top glass and the difference comes dow to an opinion.

Actually I like the new Zeiss Victories I tested. .. Found them better than the SLC swaros..

Once I have that N/Force on the Accumark range is one of the most important things. I dont know if I could pin point my shots without one..Error is huge guessing at times .. wait until you shoot angles across gullies.

I have just used my 10*42 Leica for my hunting on Greenland, and i really enjoyed the binos, and would buy it again.

It ranged out to 1275 meters but works swift on things out to 6-800m - it helped me out a lot when taking the Caribou's down.

Good stuff ...
    ---------
    Per
    Weatherby modell Mark V kal. 300 Wby Swarovski Z6i 2,5-15*56 BT L
    Browning X-bolt Stainless Stalker .223 Zeiss Conquest 3-9*40
    Sauer 202 Takedown Swarovski Z6i 2-12*50
    Barrel 1: .375H&H
    Barrel 2: 6,5*55 Swedish

Dog: German Wirehaired Pointer - Does not take any hostages

Vegitarian is Old Nordic and translates into "incompentent hunter"

I have used them. Great glass and good rangfefinder. Range was good to 1100+ yards for me. My preference though is my Swarovski EL's and Leica 1200 Rangefinder.

Quote Originally Posted by pahuntnut View Post
    anyone own or use the geovids? please give the pro and cons.
    .243 Win Tikka T3
    .270 Win Hill Country Rifle Custom
    7MM Remington Magnum Hill Country Rifle Long Range Hunter
    .30.06 Hill Country Rifle Harvester
    .300 Weatherby Ed Brown Bushveld
    .338 Winchester Magnum Ed Brown Express
    .375 H&H Winchester Safari Express

I have a set of new 10x45 Zeiss Victoriy RF's. I was testing them for a publication but had to have them after the test! SwaroSLC's are gone.. good binos but this is the next new gen level!

Ah .. no issue ranging a sambar hind at 1458 yards first ping.. awesome gear.. Very nice bit of gear and the Lotutech coating unreal in the rain.. look I can still see while my N/F cant!

MMMM give me the new Zeiss as its laser is a superior design through the Abbe Konig prism not a laser in the bridge as an add on! Tried both...prefer the Zeiss RF now! Easy focus and the FL glass is wicked.
    So easy to range in comparison to a monocular rangefinder..aim and ping ..

I do like Leica but the design and in house electronics on the Zeiss won me...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by signature542 View Post
    I have a set of new 10x45 Zeiss Victoriy RF's. Ah .. no issue ranging a sambar hind at 1458 yards first ping.. awesome gear.. Very nice bit of gear and the Lotutech coating unreal in the rain
    I do like Leica but the design and in house electronics on the Zeiss won me...
    I also bought a pair of these after seeing how good Sig's were and today after leaving the rifle range I ranged various objects out to 1644 yards with ease.
    This was very impressive to say the least and that would be a great a long shot in anyone's books.
    Great set of binos.
    I am selling my 10x42 Leica Ultravids and my Leica CRF1200 as the Zeiss binos do the same and even better.
    There's no such thing as a short cut.....do it right the first time.

I purchased 10X40 Geovids after Leupold RX II range finder failed me in Alaska. I like Leupold scopes, but their range finder frankly is a POS. It had all sorts of cool functions I couldn't use because it did not consistently work. I also wanted to upgrade from my Monarch binoculars, so many $$$ later I had a new pair of Geovids.

My only other experience with high end optics is a Swarovski spotting scope so I am new to this level of optics. However, the Geovids always surprise me when I haven't used them in awhile, they are soooo clear. The range finder just flat works and is consistent. The only draw back is the weight.

I highly recommend the binocular/rangefinder combination. I haven't tried the lower priced options from Leupold or others, but I suggest you buy the best optics you can afford. Pretty much anyone can afford the best when you consider the cost of trucks, rifles or a new TV.
    .243 Synthetic MkV
    .340 Accumark Custom Shop

Blog Entries

I have used Leica 10x42 Geovids before and whilst they are a very good unit they are nevertheless behind the Zeiss combination bino/rangefinder in technological terms.
    Leica Geovids are a great unit however as technology has advanced in the electronics field the Leicas sadly lag behind Zeiss.
    Optically they both have superb optics however in the mechanical stakes the Leicas appear to be a "bit loose and rattly inside" and in my opinion are not as sturdily built as the Zeiss 10x45RF that I just recently bought and used on a hunting trip for deer two weeks ago.
    The Leicas maximum range is limited to around 1300 yards in favorable conditions whereas the Zeiss will consistently range objects out to 1655 yards in my binos and that is even achieved in the middle of a very bright sunny day when the laser beam is attenuated during use in bright sunny conditions.
    In Australia Zeiss are around the same price as the Geovids and in my opinion they are the combination bino range/finder to spend your hard green backs on when you are considering spending that amount of money.
    Also bear in mind that Zeiss uses the latest technology developed solely by Zeiss from its own "in-house" electronics laboratory whereas Leica sources its electronics from an "outside" electronics company which means that Leica relies on technology that could possibly be termed as not being the "latest" innovation in technology.
    Zeiss continually updates and improves in its technology and therefore is the most up to date in electronics technology over Leica's technology.
    The Zeiss beam divergence is narrower and therefore results in more accurate and more reliable readings especially over a long distance where this is more critical.
    With the Zeiss binos everything is made and assembled in Germany and not farmed out for assembly in Spain with electronics sourced from other outside companies/countries so I would presume supreme quality standards in the German manufactured Zeiss binos would certainly exceed Leica.
    Both binos are top quality products; however, one is better than the other in more ways than one.
    In the end it's your choice as which you bino you decide to buy........... after all it is your money that you're spending.
    There's no such thing as a short cut.....do it right the first time.