Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long Range Mark V Stock

Default Long Range Mark V Stock

I am in the begining stages of the planning for a long range rifle built with the Mark V action as the starting point. With the doner rifle now in hand I've begun to consider a stock for this rifle as it's choice seems to be the most complicated. My thoughts are to use the McMillan A5 for this rifle and my question is directed at those who have experience with this stock and the best options to include. Any advice or comments here would be appreciated. This build is intended to be effective to 1,000 yards or so for informal fun shooting, not big game hunting. The caliber is not an issue, just the design and layout of the stock.

Is the adjustable comb necessary? Which model is to be prefered? Same with the various adjustable butt's? Other options you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance....

Default Re: Long Range Mark V Stock

adjustable comb......yes yes yes yes yes.....did i mention yes?
    get the correct length of pull when you order it and forget the adjustable length of pull.....unless you plan on letting others with way longer or shorter arms than yourself shoot it...........
    or you plan on shooting it with body armor on......

I really like the profile of the A5 and how it fits my hand if I had the money it would have been on my rifle instead of the bell and carlson..........and yes I have used one.

Nate.
    OMG WTF AFAIC LMFAO......BTW DEATH TO ACRONYMS.........IMHO

Hunt hard, shoot straight, shoot far, apologize to no one.

I learned to shoot long range with an A-5 mcmillan. It is to this day the most comfortable stock I have ever shouldered in the prone or bench position. Mine does not have an adj cheep weld, but I concurr with Nate and advise you to get one so you have the option of making it feel comfortable with out stretching your neck. You will find this a big help with a consistant cheek weld position and the follow through of the shot, also watching the hits at 1000 yards and beyond. Yes, there needs to be follow through on every shot with every kind of firearm. I find many times I never release the trigger till the bullet hits the target. Holding your fine tuned form is very important with a long distance shot. It may be interupted a bit by recoil on a big boomer, but if all is solid and comfortable you will settle right back in for the hit. We put a adjustable cheek weld on my sons 300 win in a A-5 Mcmillan. When I shoot this rifle I crank it all the way down. Maybe because I learned and developed my anchors with out the option to adjust, or maybe because the dimentions of my body fit the stock with out raising it. Do no.... but give your self the option, especially when a highly canted rail scope base is being used for 1000 yard plus shooting, like a 40 moa. The 40 moa will slightly increase the height of the scope eyepiece.

Correct length of pull is equally important, as Nate pointed out clothing will affect this so if you have an adjustable it would allow a change for warm or cold weather attire.

I will also stress the HUGE importance of a GOOD bipod. If someone shows up here to shoot or hunt with anything but a Harris I offer to loan them one and help change it. I cant even begin to tell you how important the integrity of the front rest is. But I will say I can easily see the groups open up with even a thin blanket under my bipod over concrete.

ps, I respect your choice to use this rifle only for target shooting. But please keep an open mind toward hunting with it. I truely believe as you learn what is involved to make consistant cold bore hits, and you see how reliable good equipment can be, you just may want to use it on a special hunt that requires the use of a rifle like this. I have found the challenges and rewards to be as much or more as my first record whitetail I took at 18 feet with a bow. All I am saying is please dont set limits or parimeters quite yet.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 05-03-2010 at 15:47.
    Lucky ...Is when Preparation and Opportunity Come Together

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." - Ted Nugent

Thanks for the candid comments! I genuinely appreciate your insight for this project.

It seems that the adjustable comb is worth the money McMillan is asking for it, but a follow-up question would be which one? There are 3 to choose from, a saddle type, integral type and intergral with elevation wheel?

As for the bipod, I agree it's a necessitity for my build as well. Would a seperate swivel stud be beneficial? I see this on many rifles of this type.

Jeff....I'd like my rifle to be very much like the one you pictured. The barrel length seems right as well as the muzzle brake. Is there anything you would do different? What about the bottom metal on your rifle...what did you go with?

Lastly, I have no issues with long range hunting however for me this rifle will likely be a play thing at the range as we have absolutly no opportunity to shoot at such extended ranges on our hunting ground. That said, if my skill progressed to the point where I was confident at such ranges and the opportunity presented itself I don't see any issues.

Thanks again for the input!

I would go with the elevation wheel. It can easily be marked for the exact same height each time you raise it. You will want a consistant height and you will lower it to clean and maybe carry or case.

My barrel is 27 1/2" with out brake. The rifle is heavy but that lends to the accuracy and absorbs the recoil. Nothing compares to a heavy rifle for staying solid on target, and that is critical for the long pokes.

I used Weatheby stainless bottom metal with a slightly extended mag box. However, I very seldome load more than one round. I simply toss two more on the ground next to the rifle. If needed I can toss another in the open action for a follow up shot. So far I have been lucky enough to not need a second shot. The sound of the impacting bullet will scare the animals long before they hear the muzzle blast, and the blast is far enough away that they may still stand there and try to figure what is going on or where it came from. If you are prone with a bit of cover they most likely will not pick you out. I have seen one fall and the others look at him, look around, and then go back to grazing.

Long Range is not for everyone. Like many things it takes total dedication to the rifle, impecable handloading, proper equipment and practice, practice, practice. I am excited for you and this new adventure. I hope it opens up a few new doors in your hunting area. I have a feeling you may look at the terrain in a diffeent way in the future. Next time you are out scouting or hunting. Walk a few ridges and look for a nice opening where the morning sun can warm you while you wait for the "Big Boy to appear on another ridge. Take a laser RF and some binos and sit and enjoy what was not in reach before.

Jeff

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." - Ted Nugent

Jeff....thanks again for the detailed information. If I've gathered your suggestions correctly, you recommend the A5 with the wheel adjustable comb and spacer system for the LOP then? No mention of additional sling swivel studs so I gather that is a negitive. The stock should be inletted for factory bottom metal as well. Your choice of bottom metal is interesting as well as practical....I see many of these rifles with extended and/or removable magazines. My thoughts paralled yours in thinking a single shot would be fine for my application.

To be sure, extreme range shooting is a fascinating subject and I've been interested for years, especially seeing the 1 mile long range in Casper....I only wish we had such a facility. I'm sure it's possible in places but on our grounds 400 yards is extremely rare and would have to be searched for with no guarantee of game. Still, I have the optics and with some luck will get a rifle sorted out just for the sake of enjoying the experience.

Thanks again for the willingness to help!

+1 for the wheel adjustable comb.

Cheek to stock weld is one of the most over looked fitting issues with a rifle.

The adjustable length of pull is really not a huge issue, I would doubt that you would take out an allen wrench in the field and remove a spacer because you put on a jacket. With the scope set in the proper position you are more than able to make up for the thickness of a jacket with your head position alone. If you have a rifle that fits you well already you should be able to give them the dimensions they need to make the stock the correct length. One less part to come loose and fall off.

When you get it done come take a class in Oregon to get you up to speed in a hurry. http://www.hollandguns.com/ (look for the shooting school link)

Nate.
    Last edited by RS2G; 05-05-2010 at 02:47.
    OMG WTF AFAIC LMFAO......BTW DEATH TO ACRONYMS.........IMHO

Hunt hard, shoot straight, shoot far, apologize to no one.

As an update I got a call today from McMillan stating that they will not inlet the A-5 I have ordered for the Mark V with a thumb-wheel adjustable comb. The saddle cheek-piece seems to be the only option, and of course I don't care for the saddle. Now I'm looking into other options.....

You could get the A-5 and add the adjustable kit. Cant remember where I saw it. I was thinking of doing it. I will look for it again.

Jeff

Go here and page down. Don't know why Mcmillan wont do it though??

http://www.warner-tool.com/riflehardware.htm