Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: My 470NE

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Queensland Australia
    Posts
    1,099

    Default Re: My 470NE

    As all the others have said, very nice There is something about the look of a double. nd yours looks great.
    l to am working up to getting a double. But for me, finding one with in left hand at a price l can afford is the fun bit.
    Cheers
    Jack

    Gods country.
    The sunshine state.
    Queensland Australia.

    Come visit our home. A site with an ozzy twist and a liking for weatherbies. And a bit of just hangin shit on each other Tellem Jack sent ya
    http://www.aussieferalhunters.com/sm...46824ff54b;www

    Come and have a look at our new on line shooting magazine http://www.hunters-aim.com/

  2. Default Re: My 470NE

    Quote Originally Posted by RIDGE RIDER View Post
    I am sure you understand reloading etc, but before you shoot off all of your ammo, I would suggest you chronograph a few of your factory loads and try to load to achieve the same speed with the same weight and hopefully the same make of projectiles as your barrels have been regulated for a particular load.
    "Rolling your own" may alter the point of impact for both barrels and this is something you should bear in mind when reloading double barrelled rifles.
    Only offering some advice as I have friends with double barrel rifles and have seen accuracy fall off quite dramatically with reloads.

    Good luck and enjoy the fun.
    Yes I know. The rifle is regulated using 500grs Federal SP. On the test target I have the lot number. The rifle is delivered with a box with that lot number.
    So I will cronograph the fabric ammo, and duplicate the load used. Also I will measure the expansion ring on the brass.
    I got a suggestion from my friend for a load that should be close to the Federal ammo.
    This is the target using this load @ 50m. This is also the range the rifle is regulated.
    maybe I'm just lucky, so I still need some more testing to be sure.




    RUM = Poor Man's Weatherby!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    446
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: My 470NE

    Quote Originally Posted by 340 Weatherby View Post
    Yes I know. The rifle is regulated using 500grs Federal SP. On the test target I have the lot number. The rifle is delivered with a box with that lot number.
    So I will cronograph the fabric ammo, and duplicate the load used. Also I will measure the expansion ring on the brass.
    I got a suggestion from my friend for a load that should be close to the Federal ammo.
    This is the target using this load @ 50m. This is also the range the rifle is regulated.
    maybe I'm just lucky, so I still need some more testing to be sure.



    Wouldn't hurt to give Federal a call as to which powder and primer they use.
    Most likely Fed 215 primer
    There's no such thing as a short cut.....do it right the first time.

  4. Default Re: My 470NE

    Here are the leaked details of the ammo:
    The brass is produced by Norma.
    The primer is/was Federal 215. (Now they are using a even hotter primer, not sold for the public. I belive it's named Federal 216)
    The powder is Alliant RL 15. (They use about 90grs or so. I will know soon...)
    The bullets are 500grs Woodleigh soft and solid.
    The ammo is loaded by Federal.

    RUM = Poor Man's Weatherby!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    446
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: My 470NE

    Quote Originally Posted by 340 Weatherby View Post
    The primer is/was Federal 215. (Now they are using a even hotter primer, not sold for the public. I belive it's named Federal 216)
    The powder is Alliant RL 15. (They use about 90grs or so. I will know soon...)
    The bullets are 500grs Woodleigh soft and solid.
    The ammo is loaded by Federal.
    Fed 216 primer, now that is an interesting new primer.
    That will definitely produce differences in pressure compared to 215 primers.
    As far as charge weight of Alliant RL 15 I suppose you could pull a couple of bullets and then weigh the load.
    That hotter primer is something I would like to know more about.
    My next build will be a Viers 416 Magnum and with 160 plus grains of powder I would definitely be looking at a hotter primer than the Fed 215
    Pity it's not for sale to the public, then again you never know what may happen further down the line in time to come.
    Good luck with the reloading

    Ridge
    Last edited by RIDGE RIDER; 09-09-2011 at 11:24.
    There's no such thing as a short cut.....do it right the first time.

  6. Default Re: My 470NE

    The new hotter primer was first time mentioned public in Guns 2009 may issue.
    The primer is not for sale, only for internal use by Federal.
    But when you want to ignite 160grs of powder there is a way.
    Use one primer with the powder to assure good ignition. It has been used a lot in Africa in big-bores to get reliable ignition. Mostly in damp areas.
    If my memory is correct John Buhmiller used that in his 500. And even Elmer Keith did some experiments doing this.
    He even tried to use a flash pipe from the primer pocket hole, reaching nearly to the bullet. He threated or soldered the pipe into the case.
    This gives a more uniform pressure buildup, and secure ignition.
    It's used on artillery cases like the 105mm and so on today.

    Link to article: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...e_skin;content

    Many handloaders think the 215 is still the hottest commercial rifle primer, but not only are the CCI and Winchester magnum rifle primers just as hot, if not a little hotter, but Federal also makes a 216 primer, for commercial loading of huge cartridges like the .470 Nitro Express. The 216 isn't available to hobby handloaders, but I happen to have 100, safely stashed away for a real emergency. (This hasn't happened yet, but it's comforting to know they're there.)
    Between those two extremes are primers of almost any brisance level. Remington and CCI primers tend to be the mildest "standard" primers and Winchesters the hottest, with Federals somewhere between. Deciding which to use depends not only on the size of the case but the powder.
    Last edited by 340 Weatherby; 09-09-2011 at 12:32. Reason: Added info

    RUM = Poor Man's Weatherby!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    446
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: My 470NE

    Quote Originally Posted by 340 Weatherby View Post
    The new hotter primer was first time mentioned public in Guns 2009 may issue.
    The primer is not for sale, only for internal use by Federal.
    But when you want to ignite 160grs of powder there is a way.
    Use one primer with the powder to assure good ignition. It has been used a lot in Africa in big-bores to get reliable ignition. Mostly in damp areas.
    If my memory is correct John Buhmiller used that in his 500. And even Elmer Keith did some experiments doing this.
    He even tried to use a flash pipe from the primer pocket hole, reaching nearly to the bullet. He threated or soldered the pipe into the case.
    This gives a more uniform pressure buildup, and secure ignition.
    It's used on artillery cases like the 105mm and so on today.

    Link to article: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...e_skin;content
    I wasn't aware that Winchester primers are/were always hotter than Federal....thanks for that insight.
    Might pay to have a dabble with some of these.
    There's no such thing as a short cut.....do it right the first time.

  8. Default Re: My 470NE

    I have seen a test in the Norma reloading manual stating this. I just need to find it.

    RUM = Poor Man's Weatherby!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Denmark-Roskilde
    Posts
    1,521
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: My 470NE

    congrats lars, nice peice of german handwork
    Skipper

    .378 THE MAGNUM'S MAGNUM

    .257 Lazermark S&B 5-25X56 PMII P3
    .300 Lazermark Zeiss Victory 6-24X72MM
    .338-378 Synthetic share scope with .257
    .378 Deluxe Zeiss Varipoint 3-12X56mm
    .460 Euromark Swarovski Z6i 1-6X24mm L EE
    NEAR MFG bases and ring/ALPHA MOUNT on all

  10. Default Re: My 470NE

    Thanks, I got a package from the post office this morning.
    Weighting 16kg or 35.2 Ibs.
    Looked like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	474.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	5232

    RUM = Poor Man's Weatherby!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •