Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loose Bolt and Bolt Sleeve on Mark V Fibermark 300 Wby

Default Re: Loose Bolt and Bolt Sleeve on Mark V Fibermark 300 Wby

Rob - With an empty chamber, my Mark V 338-378 does the same thing. But with an empty case in the chamber, there's no play in the bolt handle. The sleeve behind the bold can rotate slightly but requires more effort. Dave

Thanks again for the replies. I'll try to locate some 300 Wby brass and try one in the chamber. Then I can get to reloading and actually fire this thing.

I checked both of my Mark Vs, one is brand new (unfired) and the other one is used,and they both have about the same amount of play, but not as much as yours.

The trigger has the bolt stop pin in it, and the pin runs in a slot in the bottom of the bolt. The slot and pin keep the bolt from rotating except when it is almost all the way forward. The wobble of the bolt body is a result of the slot being wider than the diameter of the pin and the L-shaped cut at the back of the bolt. If you eliminated the slop, the bolt could easily bind with a small amount of dirt or other debris....The shroud rotation is permitted because the firing pin sear is narrower than the raceway in the tang of the receiver, for the same reason. Also, The short slot in the bottom of the shroud is just wide enough to prevent binding, and will allow the shroud to wobble a little, but is normally stiffer when the firing pin is cocked.

Bottom line, with a cartridge or case under the extractor and the bolt in battery, the bolt shouldn't rotate easily because the extractor is pushing back on the case head. When the bolt handle is bottomed out in its receiver notch, all locking lugs are in full engagement. If the bolt can rotate up enough, you might not have 100% locking lug engagement.

I'd guess that Weatherby would have instantly wanted it back if they saw any problem with it.

I always say that if I ever have a real problem, I hope I'm holding onto a MK V.

Good hunting, Tom
    Last edited by TRE Custom; 09-13-2013 at 05:44.
    "The abuse of anything is not good, but it ain't necessarily bad" Brother Dave Gardner

5. Default Re: Loose Bolt and Bolt Sleeve on Mark V Fibermark 300 Wby

Hi, the issue you are adressing depends on the understandig of the action and how it works.
    When putting the safety on, you pull the pressure off the bolt/firing pin and it's as loose as in the video. (In all weatherby's)
    Whan putting the safety off, you still have some rattle.
    To me, it indicates that the firingpin spring is not stiff enough. It's an issue on 50% on all weatherby's or so.
    Remove the bolt schroud, then remove the steel ball and turn the firing pin 1 or 2 slots clock wise.
    Insert ball, insert schroud and try again.
    I feel I need some pics to expalin how to, since this is quite complicated to explain...

I have a instruction in Norwegian how to, but for sure it's greek to you.
    I will translate it asap. Link: http://www.weatherbyrifler.com/index...ry_view&iden=6
    Last edited by 340 Weatherby; 09-13-2013 at 22:58.

RUM = Poor Man's Weatherby!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Loose Bolt and Bolt Sleeve on Mark V Fibermark 300 Wby

All my Mark V rifles are the same or similar and I own 4. The 257 accumark, 270 win accumark, 308 win accuark and 300 winmag deluxe currently.

There are very subtle differences in the movement which would lead me to believe you could tighten the inner spring and the amount of movement may change.

I owned the 300 WBY in an accumark and 1 of my buddies liked it so much he traded me the deluxe 300 win mag for it. I couldn't pass I always had a fondness for win calibers anyway.

Get some 7828, h1000 and some 180 grain bullets and shoot it then give us a report. If you go with lighter bullets try 4831, rl 22 or 25. After you find a load that works for you take it out and shoot something with it then give us another report.

Goodluck and shoot straight.

Bob

Ciao Rob,
    i own a ultra light in 240 WM and i have exactly the same bolt loose- sleeve like the video posted. Did you receive from Weatherby any suggestion ? Did you solve the problem ?
    Thank You
    Enrico

Weatherby assured me it was ok. I've since fired it many times with no issues.