Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BEST long-range group of my life!

Default BEST long-range group of my life!

I know that you guys are the only ones that could appreciate something like this...

I've been trying to get out and shoot, on a day with NO wind blowing! I finally got a "good" day today, and shot the best group on my life!

Today was heavy overcast, "0" wind @ 3:00 pm and 55 degrees. Even though there was very heavy cloud cover, everything looked very clear and crisp, meaning you could see for a very long ways off...

I was going to shoot at my normal 600 yd. range but, with conditions being perfect, at least for me, I decided to shoot out further than normal. I set my target up at 700 yds. and again, very clear. I moved back to 800 yds. and again, very clear. I then moved out to 1,000 yds. and I just could not quite keep my eyes in focus, so I moved to 900 yds.. PERFECT! Very clear and crisp...

I shot one fouling shot and then got on target. I normally just shoot 3-shot groups and why I shot a 5-shot group this time, I really don't know. I guess I just wanted to see what my rifle really could do...

Okay, this is my rifle. It is a custom Winchester in 30-284, shooting Hornady's 155 gr. A-MAX @ 3,400 fps.. I had originally chambered this gun for one of my wildcat cartridges in 300 Jr. but, after several months, I took the barrel off, cut the threaded shank off, rechambered it, did a load development and drop table on it, and the rest as they say, is history...

Here is my absolute BEST target to date -

After shooting this group at 900 yds., I made a couple of 1-shot-kills after dialing the scope in for each distance...

800 yds...

1,000 yds...

600 yds...

700 yds...

Would I be able to pull off a 900 yd. group like that again? Not in my life time! That is a once in a life time group that I will never be able to even come close to, and that's okay...

Shooting was witnessed by 2 OHP Troopers and a friend....
    Last edited by Weatherby Assassin; 11-21-2013 at 06:45.

Blog Entries

Default Re: BEST long-range group of my life!

Is jug best cooked low and slow or is it a fast and hot type? LOL

Good shooting and an interesting chambering.

Ken....
    "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession; I have
    learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
    - Ronald Reagan

Great shooting David, nice looking rifle you got there.
    Johnny.

Nice shooting

Thats some darn fine shootin. I pretty sure you have already talked about it, but could you please elaborate on your cartridge (your desighn? origin?)

Rob

Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments....

Bob,

no Sir, this is not my design. The 30-284 is simply the 284 Winchester case necked up to .30 caliber, with no other basic changes...

Instead of using 284 Winchester brass though, I am using Lapua 6.5-284 brass, necked up to .30 caliber...

Redding makes a 3 die set for the 30-284 and that is what I am using to load for this round...

Here is a picture of cartridges for comparison. The cartridge on the left is a 308 Winchester, 30-284 in center and a 30-06 Ackley Improved...

The 30-284 is loaded with Hornady's 155 gr. A-MAX. Here is the load that I am shooting -

CASE: Lapua 6.5-284 / necked to .30 caliber / Match prepped...

PRIMER: Winchester WLRM...

POWDER: H-414 / 62.0gr...

BULLET: Hornady 155 gr. A-MAX...

VELOCITY: 3,400 fps...

When I cut the chamber in this barrel, I cut a tight chamber with .001 headspace. Fireforming was not necessary because of absolute minimum headspace and the tight chamber. The 30-284 round shown above on the blue Lapua brass box, has been fired 12 times and neck sized only. No sign of work hardening and the primer pocket is still tight....

Nice groups, 3400 FPS, that's to fast even with 155 gr pills.

G.

Well....... I tried other powders and loads and velocities as low as 3,100 fps. would not give acceptable accuracy! I do all load development at 200 yds. and slower loads would average around 5/8" to 3/4" BUT the 3,400 fps load averaged 1/4" or less, and as such, that was my chosen load....

W-A

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Assassin View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments....

Bob,

no Sir, this is not my design. The 30-284 is simply the 284 Winchester case necked up to .30 caliber, with no other basic changes...

Instead of using 284 Winchester brass though, I am using Lapua 6.5-284 brass, necked up to .30 caliber...

Redding makes a 3 die set for the 30-284 and that is what I am using to load for this round...

Here is a picture of cartridges for comparison. The cartridge on the left is a 308 Winchester, 30-284 in center and a 30-06 Ackley Improved...

The 30-284 is loaded with Hornady's 155 gr. A-MAX. Here is the load that I am shooting -

CASE: Lapua 6.5-284 / necked to .30 caliber / Match prepped...

PRIMER: Winchester WLRM...

POWDER: H-414 / 62.0gr...

BULLET: Hornady 155 gr. A-MAX...

VELOCITY: 3,400 fps...

When I cut the chamber in this barrel, I cut a tight chamber with .001 headspace. Fireforming was not necessary because of absolute minimum headspace and the tight chamber. The 30-284 round shown above on the blue Lapua brass box, has been fired 12 times and neck sized only. No sign of work hardening and the primer pocket is still tight....
    Well hello there; do you really expect me to believe your claims..
    I simply find it very hard to believe those extraordinary velocity claims you are getting with your "superperforming" cartridge simply by necking up from 6.5 cal to 30 cal on an otherwise standard otherwise unmodified 6.5/284 case.
    Do you realise that your claims simply outperform or at least EQUAL such great velocity performers such as the 300 Wby, 300 RUM and the greatest 30cal. velocity cartridge in 30-378, ALL OF WHICH I HAPPEN TO OWN and know what velocities I can get from them with 150 / 155 grain projectiles..
    These other cartridges have much greater dimensioned/volumed cases and their powder requirements to produce similar velocities of 3400fps require far more powder loads in the range of 80 to 100 grains capacities to produce similar speeds of around 3400 fps and you can do the same with just ONLY 62 grains of powder which incidentally has basically the same performance as H4350 to achieve velocities that other cartridges can only achieve by using much larger quantities of powder.
    Really who are you kidding
    Last edited by RIDGE RIDER; 03-09-2015 at 20:30.
    There's no such thing as a short cut.....do it right the first time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Assassin View Post

Okay, this is my rifle. It is a custom Winchester in 30-284, shooting Hornady's 155 gr. A-MAX @ 3,400 fps...
    Interesting speeds to say the least,
    Almost on par with the 30-378 which is by the way a much larger case
    Just wondering what brand of chronograph you used to reveal these impressive speeds
    I shoot 175 grain Sierras out of my 284 30" barrelled F Class rifle and with an Oehler 35P chronograph I am getting 2840 fps
    There's no such thing as a short cut.....do it right the first time.