Thread: A hattrick.

Default A hattrick.

G'day all. l know its not a Weatherby report. But l was happy with the results, so thought l would share something from Oz.

While doing groceries yesterday, ran into a farmer of one of the properties l hunt on. He was telling that they had seen some dingos on his sons. And a neighbour had a calf taken by a couple of dingos last week. l already have gate keys to his property, so just rang to let him know l would be out in the morn
    Drove in past the yards and parked by the fence. Had a plan of where l was going to walk. While getting geared up. Saw a dark dog walking about 400 meters from the farm house, diagonally away from me. Quickly grabbed the rifle from behind the seat, took out a hand full of rounds from the ammo box. Slipped under the fence, slipped the rounds into the mag, then one in the chamber. l then saw a second dingo a little way behind the first. The dogs were still walking away from me. l gave a few blows on the Tenterfield whistle. The dingos stopped a looked in my direction, but then kept walking away. l gave a few more blows. Then the second dog turned and headed in my direction. The first dog was just out of sight over a rise. l got myself set using a rock for a rest. Gave a few more blows. The dingo was now running at me closing the gap from about 500m. lt went out of sight for a short time, but still coming towards me. ln no time it was about 40m away. Another quick whistle, it stopped to see where the sound came from. Mistake #1 Cross hair of the Swaro on the shoulder, a squeeze of the Accutrigger. Down it went. A quick reload, at the shot. The dingo stopped and turned to his mate. Mistake #2, another squeeze of the Accutrigger saw the second dingo on the ground. l was rapped. A great way to start the year. l waited a few minutes to see if anything else came along. No show. So went out and grabbed the 2 dingos and brought them back to the ute for scalping. l saw they were 2 males, thought to myself. They may be sniffing out a female. So walked out into the paddock in the direction they were heading. Stopped behind a stump, and gave a few more blows on the whistle. A couple of minutes later, l saw another dingo heading out of the gully heading away from me. lt was down wind of me, and new something was up. lt would only stop briefly and turn in my direction. lt was a fair distance from me. l sat leaning back on a tree with the rifle on my knees. l was shaking to much for a good shot. l quickly slid around the tree and used a root coming out the side for a better rest. Wound the Swaro up to about x8. Gave and other blow. lt stopped before going through the fence, mistake #3. l held on its chest and squeezed the accutrigger again. The 204 is so nice to shoot. l saw the impact and it roll over with the legs stiff in the air. l waited for a little longer, with nothing else showing, went to get number 3. Paced it out to be about 210m. Happy as. This was my longest field hunting shot
    A great way to start the year 3 fair size males. And gained access to the neighbours 500acres All this in about half an hour

Dog 1. shoulder shot @ 35m

Dog 2 shoulder shot @ 75m

Dog 3 chest shot @ 210m

They were all very dark in colour

No more killing for these

Thanks for looking
    Cheers
    Jack

Gods country.
    The sunshine state.
    Queensland Australia.

Come visit our home. A site with an ozzy twist and a liking for weatherbies. And a bit of just hangin shit on each other Tellem Jack sent ya
    http://www.aussieferalhunters.com/sm...46824ff54b;www

Come and have a look at our new on line shooting magazine http://www.hunters-aim.com/

Default Re: A hattrick.

Good story and nice shooting. Way to build good will with the ranchers!

Jerry

Well done once again Jack. You are certainly an expert in your field. Congrats.
    Ephesians 2:8,9 John 6:47
    Beretta 686 Onyx
    257 Sporter
    270 Win Browning A-bolt

"We need not talk about our morale. As committed soldiers we will see this mission through." - Sgt. Tell Gray, 82 Airborne, KIA Iraq

Blog Entries

That's great Jack. Boy that Dingo has a big solid head compared to our coyote. They look like they can cause some damage.

Great Story, and Great Shooting too!
    22 Long Rifle CZ 452 Full Stock
    22-250 Mark V Accumark
    6.5 / 300 WSM Gre-Tan Custom
    270 Winchester Ruger 77
    270 Wby 1976 Bicentennial Edition Deluxe
    7mm WSM Borden / Benchmark Custom
    300 WSM Kimber Classic Select
    300 Wby 1976 Bicentennial Edition Deluxe
    300 RUM Custom
    325 WSM Kimber Montana
    340 Wby Mark V Deluxe
    378 Wby Mark V Euromark

What's Next?...Don't know yet!

Nice Jack! I'm sure the farmers are appreciative.
    Shane
    MARK V Deluxe .300 WBY Mag.
    Vanguard "Rifle of the Year" .257 WBY Mag.
    Dealer for:
    ArcticShield - Advanced Cold Weather Protection
    XScent - Scent Elimination System
    Xtreme Scents - Deer Candy - Fish Attractants
    Authorized Rinehart Target Dealer - The Best Archery Targets In The World

Way to go Jack. Nice shooting, nice story. G'day, Mate and congrats!

God Bless
    Mark
    Psalm 23

.17HMR Mark XXII; .22-250 Vanguard Sporter
    .220 SVM "Rocket"
    .224 Mark V SVM; .240 Mark V ULW
    .257 Mark V Lazermark; .257 Mark V Silhouette Thumbhole; .25-300 Custom5 Panel Lazermark
    .270 Mark V Lazermark; .270 Mark V 5 Panel Lazermark
    7MM Mark V 5 Panel Lazermark
    .300 Mark V Deluxe; .300 Mark V Accumark; .300 Mark V Deluxe
    .30-378 Mark V Fibermark
    .30-378 Mark V Accumark Custom
    .338-378 Mark V Accumark Stainless Composite
    .340 Mark V Deluxe; .340 Mark V Deluxe Thumbhole
    .375 Mark V Custom
    .375 H&H Mark V Custom
    .378 Mark V Deluxe
    .416 Mark V Lazermark
    .460 Mark V Deluxe
    Athena Grade III 20Ga. O/U

If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops, please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

'No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'

-- Ronald Reagan

8. Default Re: A hattrick.

Good shooting and a nice rifle!

Quite Nice critters as well!
    Reminds me of this one:

RUM = Poor Man's Weatherby!

Blog Entries

Cool Jack. Those are some good sized critters for sure. The yotes here in Arizona don't get very big but one of these days I've got to grab a couple Wbys and go shooting .

Ken...
    "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession; I have
    learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
    - Ronald Reagan

Thanks guys ln the area l live and the properties l have access to. There is not a lot to hunt. Mainly the dingos, some rabbits and the odd pig. l know l should take the wby and shoot a few. But the 204 is so much safer, not having to worry about pass throughs and what beyond the target as much.
    Cheers
    Jack

Gods country.
    The sunshine state.
    Queensland Australia.

Come visit our home. A site with an ozzy twist and a liking for weatherbies. And a bit of just hangin shit on each other Tellem Jack sent ya
    http://www.aussieferalhunters.com/sm...46824ff54b;www

Come and have a look at our new on line shooting magazine http://www.hunters-aim.com/