Thread: German Mark V

Default German Mark V

I was at the range yesterday and once again tried some 180 grain spitzer boattails with my German made 300 Mark V. No good. About the best it would do is a 2" group. A while back I spoke to a tech at Weatherby and he advised me to stick with the smaller, non boattail bullets because of the 1/12 twist. I have to say this has been the case with my rifle. Speer 165 gr Grand Slam is about as large a bullet I can shoot and keep a 3 shot group under 1.5"

Has anyone with a 1/12 twist 300 had better luck than me using a heavier bullet?

Oh yeah, copper fouling is also crazy. After countless patches with Bore Tech and everything else out there I get a clean barrel. After about 10 shots (always letting the barrel cool after a couple shots) the groups start to open up. Anyone have an answer for that?

My ex wife wasn't as difficult as this rifle, but then she didn't look as good which is why I kept the rifle, lost the wife.

2. Default Re: German Mark V

Well, if you want to shoot the heavier slugs you could try some Hornady 180grs SP. It's not the best hunting bullet, but maybe it will still group in your rifle. To get rid of all the problems a new barrel is the path to go. Get a 1-10" twist, and don't look back. Shilen for instance, makes barrels that normaly only contains some carbon after firing. And there are many other top notch barrels out there.

RUM = Poor Man's Weatherby!

Default Re: German Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by 340 Weatherby View Post
    Well, if you want to shoot the heavier slugs you could try some Hornady 180grs SP. It's not the best hunting bullet, but maybe it will still group in your rifle. To get rid of all the problems a new barrel is the path to go. Get a 1-10" twist, and don't look back. Shilen for instance, makes barrels that normaly only contains some carbon after firing. And there are many other top notch barrels out there.
    I guess I never even thought about it since my barrel is still in good shape. Does Shilen or others make a barrel as thin as the one on my rifle? If I have to do some stock work that's fine, but one of the things I like about my rifle is the light weight. I would definitely go to a 26" barrel as well.

I am actually more interested in a new barrel due to the copper fouling problem though. It gets old to spend a few minutes at the range and hours in the shop to remove the copper. Have others solved this with new barrels? Is this problem unique to me?

4. Default Re: German Mark V

A gunsmith can copy the contour of your barrel and make it 26" as well. They just use barrel blank and turn it down. Fouling is a common problem in some barrels that are rough.

RUM = Poor Man's Weatherby!

Blog Entries

Default Re: German Mark V

I hear ya on the fouling. I have an early "return to U.S.A" gun (SB0000XX) and you can see tooling marks an inch in from the muzzle. I've never had it bore scoped but I can only imagine what it looks like considering how big of a copper magnet it is. It has just over 1100 rounds through it and it never seemed to have smoothed out. I do clean it extensively every 30 rounds or so, though I have let it go to the 60 round area. It doesn't bother me though (except the price of keeping it supplied with BTE and other cleaning supplies)because it is so consistently accurate. Almost always sub-moa and since I followed 340 Weatherbys' excellent tutorial on trigger jobs, I am getting sub-half moa quite regularly, much more than before. I am sure the gun would have done better but I just hold the gun like I'm hunting and I lay my fore end holding hand on a rolled up blanket. I personally like to shoot that way though I know I sacrifice some accuracy. Oh well, I only hunt targets anymore anyway! Try those 180 gr Hornady Spire Points 340 Weatherby recommended. I have seen( or heard of) many peoples guns that shoot them wonderfully as well as my own. Good luck with your copper and accuracy problems and God Bless!
    Last edited by 11 Charlie; 05-20-2014 at 00:00.