Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum Video

Default Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum Video

I would think that anyone who buys this setup is not going to worry about barrel life. You already know and accept it.
    I will order one next year knowing this and enjoy it until I change the barrel.
    Last edited by peteha; 10-19-2015 at 15:39.

I ordered an Accumark RC 6.5-300 and 6 boxes of Weatherby ammo, two of each bullet choices, looking forward to receiving this rifle......late Jan early Feb I'm told, now to decide what scope to put on this rifle ?
    WF
    Many thanks to the Weatherby Family.

Mark V SS 30-378
    Mark V SS 300 Wby
    Mark V Ultralight 300 Wby
    Mark V Ultralight 7mm Wby
    Vanguard S2 Synthetic 240 Wby
    Mark V Ultralight RC 240 Wby
    Mark V Accumark RC 6.5-300 Wby....soon !

I have read that ball powders burn cooler than stick powders, so am I to believe that I will get more rounds through my 30/378 barrel because I use H-870 rather than a stick powder like Rl 25, Retumbo, etc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by canadian reloarder View Post
    I have read that ball powders burn cooler than stick powders, so am I to believe that I will get more rounds through my 30/378 barrel because I use H-870 rather than a stick powder like Rl 25, Retumbo, etc
    Don't believe that one bit.
    In my Accumark I shot my barrel out at around 740 rounds with RE25.
    By the way RE 25 is a double base whereas Retumbo is Single base powder and yes they are both stick powders.
    But they burn at different temperatures.
    In my 30-378 the difference in speeds and accuracy was negligible between RE25 and Retumbo and this was also the case with my 338-378.
    Both rifles were Wby Accumarks and they both produced exceptional accuracy with some modifications over the standard Accumark.
    I hope I don't get hung for this comment but I believe that both ball powders Win 748 and Win 760 both are/were ball powders that were double base powders that were also famous/known for their short barrel life which was due to their hotter temperatures and they did not run as cool as you might say/think.
    I am only saying what I have read about these two powders.
    On another note,
    I have used both of the Win ball powders in my 325WSM Browning Titanium along with RE17 (a stick powder) which is also a double base powder.
    RE17 gave me fantastic velocities gains over both of the Win stick powders which was in the order of around 140fps faster than either of the two ball powders could not achieve.
    RE17 also gave me single digit ES velocities which amounted to exceptional accuracy that I could not achieve from either of the two Win ball powders. Crazy but true.
    So with that I am sorry to say that I do cannot believe "ball powders burn cooler than stick powders" since everyone knows that any powder that contains nitro-glycerine; it is impossible for that powder to "run cooler" than stick powders.
    That is a fact.
    The only single good thing that all ball powders have in their favour is that they run through the metering and powder throwers better than stick powders; so what.
    Last edited by RIDGE RIDER; 11-09-2015 at 12:00.
    There's no such thing as a short cut.....do it right the first time.

Thanks for the input. I believe I had read this as said by Bruce Hogdon. I use 115 gr of H 870 in mine and get 3240/ft/sec. with a 200gr Nosler. I was hopping of getting at least 650-700 rounds before the throat goes south.
    Last edited by canadian reloarder; 11-10-2015 at 00:25.