Poll: Caliber for Manitoba Black Bears

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Manitoba Bear Hunt

Default 2016 Manitoba Bear Hunt

My Son, Eric and I are headed to Manitoba this coming May for a Black Bear Hunt. I'm not sure exactly how big these creatures get up there but I'm sure I can easily handle the largest of the herd. My question is, I am conducting a poll for you guys to tell me what to take for a weapon? I have never shot an animal with the big three and was thinking of one of those. Oops- I forgot I shot an Oklahoma coyote with the .378 Mag. a few years back. Or I could go with one of the .375's I have- the Bee or the H&H. Or maybe one of my .340's? Oh the agony of it all- trying to decide. So help me out here Guys and let me know what you think please.

I completely forgot to put the .338-378 Weatherby Magnum on the list. Maybe Lars can fix that for me?????
    Last edited by mark81253; 12-29-2015 at 03:37.

God Bless
    Mark
    Psalm 23

.17HMR Mark XXII; .22-250 Vanguard Sporter
    .220 SVM "Rocket"
    .224 Mark V SVM; .240 Mark V ULW
    .257 Mark V Lazermark; .257 Mark V Silhouette Thumbhole; .25-300 Custom5 Panel Lazermark
    .270 Mark V Lazermark; .270 Mark V 5 Panel Lazermark
    7MM Mark V 5 Panel Lazermark
    .300 Mark V Deluxe; .300 Mark V Accumark; .300 Mark V Deluxe
    .30-378 Mark V Fibermark
    .30-378 Mark V Accumark Custom
    .338-378 Mark V Accumark Stainless Composite
    .340 Mark V Deluxe; .340 Mark V Deluxe Thumbhole
    .375 Mark V Custom
    .375 H&H Mark V Custom
    .378 Mark V Deluxe
    .416 Mark V Lazermark
    .460 Mark V Deluxe
    Athena Grade III 20Ga. O/U

If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops, please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

'No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'

-- Ronald Reagan

Default Re: 2016 Manitoba Bear Hunt

I took my 35 Remington for black bear, son used a 30-06, Dad used his 7mm Weatherby. Believe it or not black bear (not brown or grizzly) aren't exceptionally hard to kill with a well placed shot.
    Any on your list would work, but if I was going to choose it would be the 340 Wby or the 375 H&H.

Patrick- I am aware of the frailty of these beasts. I shot two back in my home state of New York with a .30-06 and my Dad got one with a .30-30. I am just hoping to put some of my arsenal to work here. Own them- might just as well use them instead of dust collectors. Click off your response if you would please.

God Bless
    Mark
    Psalm 23

.220 SVM "Rocket"
    .257 Mark V Lazermark; .257 Mark V Silhouette Thumbhole; .25-300 Custom5 Panel Lazermark
    .30-378 Mark V Fibermark
    .375 Mark V Custom
    .375 H&H Mark V Custom
    .378 Mark V Deluxe
    .416 Mark V Lazermark
    .460 Mark V Deluxe

If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops, please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

'No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'

-- Ronald Reagan

4. Default Re: 2016 Manitoba Bear Hunt

Easy Peasy, use the 340 Weatherby. It will kill it like lightning!
    BTW, there is nothing wrong in using one of the big ones, I just have a lot of confidence in the 340...

RUM = Poor Man's Weatherby!

OK. I went with the 340, because I almost took mine.

Mark, I'll take a different tack. I voted for the 460, just because it's the biggest. My actual advice is to take the largest one you shoot well at the distances you will encounter black bears. My logic is as you indicated above - since you have them, may as well use them. For reference, Fotis once used a 416Wby to harvest Pronghorn, just because he had it and hadn't ever taken game with it. There is an inherent need to harvest with a rifle. I tool a coyote with my 350RemMag because it had never harvested for me.

Take the biggest one you can accurately shoot. Best decision, hands down. Then go harvest white-tails or antelope or whatever with the others!
    "Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

"I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work." - from The Auburn Creed, Dr. George Petrie

if you truly want big black Canadian bears then pursue a trip to Vancouver Island British Columbia ..........
    any calibers listed above will do the job easily....for me I prefer 100 grain broadheads and archery tackle so getting up close and personal within 30 yards is the thrill of the hunt....
    head to the northwest coast of the island where 6 ft bruins are considered small
    look forward to your pics !!

Quote Originally Posted by dubyam View Post
    Mark, I'll take a different tack. I voted for the 460, just because it's the biggest. My actual advice is to take the largest one you shoot well at the distances you will encounter black bears. My logic is as you indicated above - since you have them, may as well use them. For reference, Fotis once used a 416Wby to harvest Pronghorn, just because he had it and hadn't ever taken game with it. There is an inherent need to harvest with a rifle. I tool a coyote with my 350RemMag because it had never harvested for me.

Take the biggest one you can accurately shoot. Best decision, hands down. Then go harvest white-tails or antelope or whatever with the others!
    Duby- Thanks. that's the kind of answer I was looking for. If I can shoot a 30 pound coyote in Oklahoma with a 270 grain spire point out of my .378, why not a few hundred pounds of Manitoba Bear with a 500 grain solid nose not work out? I shall give it heavy consideration.

Thank you my Friend.

Oh yeah- I recall seeing a prairie dog shot by Fotis with his .416. He was beside himself- the prairie dog that is.

God Bless
    Mark
    Psalm 23

.220 SVM "Rocket"
    .30-378 Mark V Fibermark
    .375 Mark V Custom
    .375 H&H Mark V Custom
    .378 Mark V Deluxe
    .416 Mark V Lazermark
    .460 Mark V Deluxe

-- Ronald Reagan

Prince of Wales Island or anywhere at SE Alaska is good for black bears. And they're big there. Sleep on a boat, catch halibut, and get taken to shore on a skiff.

We'll be hunting a week from tomorrow. Eric has opted for the .338-378 and I have decided for the .416. The .378 will be making the ride just for mechanical backup in the rare event there is in issue with the others. We are getting pretty excited. Of course there will be a full report and pictures coming soon.

God Bless
    Mark
    Psalm 23

.220 SVM "Rocket"
    .30-378 Mark V Fibermark
    .375 Mark V Custom
    .375 H&H Mark V Custom
    .378 Mark V Deluxe
    .416 Mark V Lazermark
    .460 Mark V Deluxe

-- Ronald Reagan