Thread: .300 wby mile long

Default .300 wby mile long

Can the .300wby hit a target at the mile distance?

Has anyone done it?

Can the plain Jane factory Mark V deluxe do it or does it need a lot of modifying?

Mike

Default Re: .300 wby mile long

The 300 Wby cartridge is capable of shooting a mile accurately with the proper ammo. As far as a factory Mark V deluxe goes, there are many many variable's at play here. Not all factory rifle's shoot the same. There are basic mod's you can do to greatly improve the accuracy of a factory rifle, but by the time you are far along enough with shooting long range to try shooting at a mile, you will most likely have a custom made long range rifle. Extreme long range shooting is just as much about understanding the physics involved, proper equipment, & practice practice practice.

Start out with an obtainable goal - say 600 yards, & practice practice practice. Then once you have obtained your goal, move your goal out further. Rinse lather repeat.

Rob
    Education is expensive, be it university or emergency room

Done it with a factory 300 Wby Deluxe I accurized. 24" factory barrel, Nightforce 5.5~22x56 scope, Near 20 moa rail, Holland side discharge brake and a BC thumbhole stock bedded. Load was H-1000 with a 215 Berger bullet.

I do is all the time with 300 win mags too. I will be doing it today instructing my shooting school with a new 300 win mag and 215 Bergers. Yesterday we shot the 338's to close to 2400 yards.

With proper equipment and tools it is very doable.

Jeff
    Lucky ...Is when Preparation and Opportunity Come Together

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." - Ted Nugent

Broz,

Did you change the stock for comfort, or what effect did this have on accuracy?

Thanks,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike300wby View Post
    Broz,

Did you change the stock for comfort, or what effect did this have on accuracy?

Thanks,

Mike
    Yes we wanted it out of a wood stock mainly. Wood can change during wet or dry times of year and composite stocks have proven to us to hold a better zero year round. This does not matter much out to 300 yards, but when you go long 1" error on your true zero will result in 10.47" at 1000 yards or 18.42" at a mile. So the rifle was bedded into a more comfortable composite stock and the barrel free floated.

Jeff
    Lucky ...Is when Preparation and Opportunity Come Together

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." - Ted Nugent

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Broz View Post
    Done it with a factory 300 Wby Deluxe I accurized. 24" factory barrel, Nightforce 5.5~22x56 scope, Near 20 moa rail, Holland side discharge brake and a BC thumbhole stock bedded. Load was H-1000 with a 215 Berger bullet.

I do is all the time with 300 win mags too. I will be doing it today instructing my shooting school with a new 300 win mag and 215 Bergers. Yesterday we shot the 338's to close to 2400 yards.

With proper equipment and tools it is very doable.

Jeff

Hi Jeff
    What speeds are you achieving with the 300Wby and the 300 Win Mags

RR
    There's no such thing as a short cut.....do it right the first time.