Thread: scope base Screw hole problem on German WBY

Default scope base Screw hole problem on German WBY

I have a German Weatherby [like new] which has a rear base screw hole that oval shaped ,so wont accept the correct screw[too loose a hole ] ,i dont know if the original owner buggered it ,or i doubt it came from the factory like this ,i cant imagine Germans allowing it out the door like that ,any opinions and how best to fix it [i havent got it in my possession at the moment ] i have just been told by the new owner that, and told him if hes not happy[which doesnt seem to be about any of it hmmmm moaning etc about everything ] to bring it back .
    thanks

2. Default Re: scope base Screw hole problem on German WBY

Hi, get the rifle to a gunsmith and get the hole drilled and tapped to a bigger dimension.
    Should be a easy fix.

RUM = Poor Man's Weatherby!

Default Re: scope base Screw hole problem on German WBY

The best way to correct it would D&T it to 8-40 (the factory screws are 6-48 I believe). The way I would do it is to first drill out the base with a 8-40 tap drill (not clearance), then install the base with the good screw and using the base as a guide drill the receiver with the tap drill. Then remove the base tap the hole. then open the base hole with an 8-40 clearance drill