Thread: Sticky B & C Medalist stock

Question Sticky B & C Medalist stock

I have a MK 5 B & C Medalist stock with the rubber coating on it. It used to just be tacky, but is now sticky.
    Anybody know how to dry the surface off without damaging the stock?
    I called B & C and they can refinish it for $63.00. Not bad, but I'd like to just clean it up and keep using it.

Thanks, Tom
    "The abuse of anything is not good, but it ain't necessarily bad" Brother Dave Gardner

Default Re: Sticky B & C Medalist stock

Unfortunately the material is just degrading. We see this frequently in older automotive steering wheels, and once they get sticky it's downhill from there. The plastic outgasses, loses some of the compounds that hold it together, and it's not repairable.
    I've used various vinyl cleaners/preps/etc which may help for a short while, but in a few months the sticky condition returns.

I don't think that B&C uses this finish any more, so I suspect you'd get a painted finish if you sent it in.

Default Re: Sticky B & C Medalist stock

Thanks Doc. You're correct, all their stocks now have a hard painted finish.
    It's a $300 stock, so I guess I'll just send it to them for refinishing, but after I got used to it I liked the tacky feel, before it started to get sticky.
    Since they have to strip it anyway, I'll experiment with it. Nothing to lose.

Thanks, Tom
    "The abuse of anything is not good, but it ain't necessarily bad" Brother Dave Gardner