Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing the bolt from a MK. V

Default Re: Removing the bolt from a MK. V

No, I don't have a replacement trigger, yet.

After giving it some thought I went back and by trial and error got everything put back in place. Except the spring you mention. Don't know if this shot out unnoticed when I took it apart or what. But I was thinking as I was assembling it that there should be a spring in there, the safety isn't as tight as it should be. I have a newer MK. V (there are a few differences and added parts) I used for comparison but I was unwilling to remove that screw and see what it looked like.

Those are very good pictures by the way. Wish I had seen them before I started fooling around. I figured there were only so many ways that part could fit and I tried them all before I found out what worked.
    Now I have to figure out what happened to the spring and see if I can find or fab one up. Might have to take apart my other rifle to get an idea what that spring should look like. I'm a bit more confident now.

Thanks for all the help, I learned a lot about how this rifle works in the process. Now I just have to figure out why the bolt would not come out in the first place. If a Timney trigger will fix that I can kill two birds with one stone.

Thinking as I write this, Among the parts that came out with the trigger is a small pin looking part that looks like it should be a piece of something longer, can't think of any reason for something that small to be an individual part of the trigger assembly. It's maybe 1/8" or 3/16" long. Wondering if this broke off the bolt stop and got wedged in a position that jammed the bolt? As I said earlier, the floorplate catch broke about the same time the bolt got stuck. Unrelated in cause as to why they broke, but it's something to think about. This is in a .300 Wby. The recoil is substantial and over time could repeated recoil shock snap a brittle, hardened part like the bolt stop or floorplate catch? You wouldn't think so, but why does any mechanical thing break? I've heard of stranger things.

Again, thanks for all the time and help.

2. Default Re: Removing the bolt from a MK. V

Hi, and thanks!
    The solution is not to use a Timney trigger. The bolt stop is made from cheese. (For sure I don't know if they have improved the bolt stop now.)
    My triggers are seven years old or so. The spring you lost should have no tension at all when you removed the square part.
    Most likely it just fell to the floor. And it's small so it will be hard to find. A phone to Weatherby and they will send you a new one.

RUM = Poor Man's Weatherby!

Default Re: Removing the bolt from a MK. V

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weatherby_MKV_schem.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	6996

Here is the exploded view of the bolt assembly. When you mentioned a spring in the safety I was assuming you meant a coil spring. But my rifle is older and parts #48 and 49 are what I have, "Safety Hook & Spring Assembly, Old Style (Flat Spring Type)". So that clears that up.

For some reason I cannot upload a picture of my trigger assembly and the broken bolt stop. Apparently the bolt stop broke and was preventing the bolt from being retracted from the action. The broken piece fell out when I dropped the trigger assembly from the action.

The bolt stop is a curious thing. It is shaped like a dumb bell, thicker at the ends with a thinner section in the middle. This is exactly where mine broke, at the thin section. Why they would machine it like this is a mystery. It adds machining costs and makes the pin weaker right where it is prone to break, exactly where mine DID break.

In any case, thanks for the great pictures and I now understand a lot more about my rifles than I did before.

4. Default Re: Removing the bolt from a MK. V

Please check your PM.

5. Default Re: Removing the bolt from a MK. V

The pic's from the trigger: