Thread: Butt Stock Spacer Removal on 1970s Vanguard 300 Weatherby

Default Butt Stock Spacer Removal on 1970s Vanguard 300 Weatherby

Hello,

New to this group.

I have to refinish a Weatherby Vanguard 300 that has recently been added to my collection.

The stock needs to be refinished because it took on a rock face and lost the battle.

There are 3 layered parts that need(ed) to be removed, the rubber recoil pad, next to that a white trim spacer, next to that a black trim spacer which is next to the wood butt stock.

The butt stock recoil pad was glued or been on so long we had to "carve" that off with a straight Xacto knife.

The white spacer and black spacer are still attached to the butt stock end by glue or age.

The white spacer is brittle and will have to be replaced but still needs to come off.

The black space next to the wood butt stock is still in place and needs to come off.

I called Weatherby and they do not have these parts in stock and they referred me to Pachmayr« to obtain the needed parts.

I still need to get the white and black trim spacers removed from the wood butt stock.

I would like to try and save the black trim spacer and try not do any damage to the wood stock.

Does anyone have experience, hints, ideas, on how to get these trim layers removed with damaging the wood butt stock and possibly saving the black trim spacer?

Heat from a hairdryer to loosen the possible grip of any glue used?

I am open to all comments and direction and I will not proceed to I feel I have a plan that will not harm the wood butt stock.

I will be able to reuse the rubber recoil pad, but if I cannot salvage the white and black trim pieces, does anyone have a source to obtain those pieces?

Or is Pachmayr« the only choice for parts as directed by Weatherby?

Thank you for your consideration and input.

Take care.

Rick Mansberger
    rick@mansbergergroup.com

Default Re: Butt Stock Spacer Removal on 1970s Vanguard 300 Weatherby

I cant remember if its the white, black or both, but acetone will melt/dissolve one or both. The spacer material should be available in oversize pieces that you sand to match the profile of the stock after they & the recoil pad are reinstalled.

Found these at Brownells

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod25250.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...-prod9771.aspx

Hope that all makes sense

Rob
    Last edited by robert6715; 03-24-2017 at 21:25.
    Education is expensive, be it university or emergency room

Hello Rob,

Thank you for that valuable information, now I can proceed with my project.

Take care and be safe.

Rick Mansberger

4.11.17 Update

Just an update on my dillema, getting off the recoil pad and white and black spacers.

I tried Acetone as Rob suggested. So we went to Plan C

I used my wifes German made thin slicer knife from her kitchen set and we were able to extract the recoil pad with help from an EXacto knife.

The recoil pad and both of the spacers were firmly glued on. I did not know that made Gorilla glue in the early 70's.
    I then used a heat gun to get the white and black spacers off.

We will be able to reuse the recoil pad and Brownells did have the spacer material in stock.

Thanks to those that helped out. Weatherby, they are built not to come apart.