Thread: Magazine loading

Default Magazine loading

I am having problems with my Mk V 9 lug it was made as a 30-06 but has been rebarreled in 6.5 x 284 and is causing loading problems, if I put one round in the magazine it loads it fine.

If I put 2 or 3 rounds in the magazine the bolt either slided over the top not picking up a round or picks up a round and pushes it anywhere but in the chamber jamming the rifle.

It has been suggested to me I may require a magnum follower, but I am not sure, can anyone help.
    Last edited by sikadog; 02-23-2018 at 20:39.

Default Re: Magazine loading

The 6.5-284 is, like it's parent case the 284Win, a relatively fat body and a rebated rim. You need a Smith who understands feeding issues and can work out the necessary details. I don't know if a magnum follower will work, but the 257/270/7mm follower wou I'd be a good place to start since the body diameter will be larger than the -06, and not prohibitively expensive, I'd imagine.
    "Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

"I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work." - from The Auburn Creed, Dr. George Petrie

3. Default Re: Magazine loading

Dubyam is right on the spot. Try first a magnum follower in the 257 family. I'm quite sure it will work. If you have a friend with a magnum follower you could borrow I would start there.

RUM = Poor Man's Weatherby!

Back to my loading problem, I purchased the push plate and spring from Germany and had a Riflesmith fit the correctly, AND, the rifle is about 10% better so back to the drawing board.
    A good Friend of mine made a comment to me when we were sitting in a pub having a beer.
    His idea was change the complete loading system to a detachable mag system, which I am doing, I found a company in the US that makes them called CDI Precision Gunworks.
    I have ordered a new bottom metal and mag and the guy there says it cures that problem he says he has sorted a few 6.5-284 problems.

My CDI precision bottom metal and Magpull Mag arrived today, and I am impressed, the only problem is that the stock needs quite an amout of work to clear the bottom metal, so as I have a laminate stock on order I am going to wait until it arrives, as I dont want to alter my good looking original stock