Thread: New Weatherby owner here seeking advice

Default New Weatherby owner here seeking advice

Hello All,
    I recently purchased my my first Weatherby from my grandpa. It's a beautiful Mark V chambered in the .300 Wby. From what I learned of the rifle it is a little over 20 years old but has been only been shot less than 20 times. He took it to a gunsmith and had everything checked out before selling it to me. It is an absolute beautiful gun, showroom quality, and I cannot wait to put some very expensive rounds(not going to lie, I was sticker shocked a bit buying the Weatherby Ammo, but results cost money and I'm looking for results in the field). My grandpa is at the stage of his life where he can no longer do the activities he used to be able to, and is in the process of downsizing and what not. He was an avid sportsman and hunter and has gear from every generation from the last 60 years. I knew about this rifle and just figured it would be passed down to one of his sons(its my mom's dad) after his death. The transaction happened fairly quickly. We were talking about elk hunting and I told him I was going to buy a .300 Win Mag this summer and was telling him about the different ones I was looking at. Long story short, I made him an offer, he made me a counter offer, I agreed, and then he gave it to me cheaper than either offers....on the sole promise that I use it. Not everyone in our family hunts, and my dad and I have gone Elk hunting every since I was 12. 19 years now. He told me he would rather have it go to me who will use it than be put in storage and sold in 20 years by other members of the family.
    This brings me up to my question. I am using it this year for my November elk hunt. Excited would be an understatement, and much of my spare time recently has been pouring over ballistics. However, does anyone have any recommendations for protection for the stock. Its such a beautiful gun I want to keep that way while still using it in the back country of Colorado. Any products or home made concoctions? This baby is going out in the wild in a few months and I would like to do everything in my power to keep it looking amazing.
    Thanks,
    p.s. I do have a feeling this will be the first of many Weatherby's.

Default Re: New Weatherby owner here seeking advice

Expensive for sure, but all in all fine hunting tools. Grandpa made you promise to use it. In fact, Ive seen Weatherby that need 50-100 rounds down the tube to make them feel broke in. Make sure its lubed well, and enjoy.

Hopefully it likes partitions, Accubond, or TSX. Youll have an elk hammer for use!

Does grandpa have 340 wby to sell while hes at it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One option is to use a different stock when you're in the field, and keep the glossy wood one for show.
    There are some good options from Bell & Carlson as well as McMillan.

If you want to keep the same stock, see if you can find a set of Kane rifle chaps. They are no longer made, but show up frequently on eBay and similar locations.
    BocaShield is another similar option; you might find more if you look around.
    I have used Mossy Oak skins on rifles and shotguns too:
    https://www.mossyoakgraphics.com/rif...-oak-camo-skin

Or, use it. The glossy wood and pretty appearance is part of the rifle, as will be every scratch and ding it gets.

Let us know what you decide.
    Last edited by Dr. Vette; 08-17-2019 at 15:15.

So I have yet to find a system to protect the stock in the field. Im hoping some Kane chaps become available on eBay before I head out. Also seriously considering the BocaShield for this year. I did talk to my grandpa about my concerns about ruining it and he told me that a gun without scars is a gun not suitable for hunters. The big news I have to share though, is today is the first day I was able to send some lead down range with it. Holy cow. It has a 25 year old Leupold scope on it. At 200 yards it took me 3 shots to be dead center and 2 inches high. 3 more shots to have them grouped at 3 inches high(where I want them at 200 with the ammo I'm using). I have not shot a gun like this. Stock be damned, I cannot wait to use it in the field. I would like to replace the scope. Obviously glassware technology in optics has improved exponentially in the last 15 years and thats my next goal. My plan was to do it before this year's hunt, but my significant other has other ideas about where money should be spent and what not. The joys of women. This brings me to my next question for the Weatherby veterans on the forum. Is there a brand or certain scope that seems to work best with Weatherby's? I'm open to all suggestions. I really don't have any brand loyalty towards optics. Actually I do but I would like here some feedback because I'm assuming people here have sent hundreds of rounds down range with Weatherby's and that is knowledge I don't have. Also.....the sound the bolt action makes while sliding a live round into firing position....Definitely in the market for more Weatherby's.

I'm highly partial to Zeiss.
    I have found that op[tics is the one area where you definitely get what you pay for. More expensive optics are better optics.

If those are a bit more than you want to spend, you might consider Leupold. However, the lowest (least expensive) one I would use is the VX-3i. We have a couple of these, and they are an incredible scope for the money. Moving up the Leupold like will get you better quality from there.

Let us know what direction you go.