Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accubrake and Recoil Pads

Default Accubrake and Recoil Pads

Hello, gents! I am a new to the forum and weatherby rifles. I recently purchased a Mark V Accumark in .300 Wby that will be equipped with Near mount and rings (big thanks to members of this forum for the recommendation) and a Swaro PH 3-12x50mm scope. The Accumark will be my designated elk, moose, and caribou slayer.

I am unsure whether I need to equip the rifle with the Accubrake. I have shot primarily .30-06 and .308 calibers for most of my life while at the range and during hunts. I understand that the .300 Wby produces more recoil given equal weight of the rifles than my .30-06 and .308 by the laws of physics.

I have read the Accubrake is very effective at reducing recoil, but the noise is very loud and can be damaging to the ears over a prolonged period of time of shooting even with hearing protection. Are there any makes/models of recoil pads that fit the Accumark that are somewhat effective (10-20% reduction) at reducing recoil to make the rifle more comfortable to shoot without the deafening noise of the Accubrake?
    Last edited by DCAT; 08-05-2009 at 21:59.

Default Re: Accubrake and Recoil Pads

Save your money. The 300 Weatherby in an Accumark does not generate heavy recoil. That said, I believe the Accubrakes have a place at some point and are indeed loud, but in my experience all magnum rifles are loud.

As for damaging one's hearing while wearing hearing protection I have my doubts but would think that would also depend upon the quality of the hearing protection.

I find the Decellerator pad supplied by B&C on the Accumark stock to be excellent.

Good luck with your new rifle!
    Last edited by Wbypoor; 08-01-2009 at 18:18.

Good hearing protection works just fine with the accubrake. I use the accubrake when I am developing loads, and just practicing. However, I hunt without it.

I'm not typically recoil shy, so the recoil of the Weatherby cartridges doesn't seem to bother me except during extended shooting sessions.

The Accumark is a heavy rifle and in 300wby, it's easy to shoot and enjoy. I almost wish I had kept mine.

--Mark
    The first amendment exists BECAUSE of the second amendment!

I have the Accubrake on everything from the .300 to the .460 and they are extremely effective in recoil reduction. I also use a Past Recoil Pad when shooting from the bench. Plus I guess I am just getting used to being beat up!! I use basic foam ear plugs and they work just fine for me. The whole combination makes for a pleasurable shooting day.

When it comes to a hunting situation I never feel the recoil anyway and have never been bothered by noise levels. Must be the thrill of the moment.

God Bless
    Mark
    Psalm 23

.17HMR Mark XXII; .22-250 Vanguard Sporter
    .220 SVM "Rocket"
    .224 Mark V SVM; .240 Mark V ULW
    .257 Mark V Lazermark; .257 Mark V Silhouette Thumbhole; .25-300 Custom5 Panel Lazermark
    .270 Mark V Lazermark; .270 Mark V 5 Panel Lazermark
    7MM Mark V 5 Panel Lazermark
    .300 Mark V Deluxe; .300 Mark V Accumark; .300 Mark V Deluxe
    .30-378 Mark V Fibermark
    .30-378 Mark V Accumark Custom
    .338-378 Mark V Accumark Stainless Composite
    .340 Mark V Deluxe; .340 Mark V Deluxe Thumbhole
    .375 Mark V Custom
    .375 H&H Mark V Custom
    .378 Mark V Deluxe
    .416 Mark V Lazermark
    .460 Mark V Deluxe
    Athena Grade III 20Ga. O/U

If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops, please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

'No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'

-- Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard DCAT.

I would almost bet the 300 in an Accumark is just fine as far as recoil is concerned. The Decelerator pad that they put on them is a very good pad and lightens the recoil. I've shot my 338-378 with and without the brake. The concussion sound changes without the brake but it is still loud. I use electronic muffs in the field and a pair of regular muffs at the range with a rating of 30db and my hearing hasn't gotten any worse then it already was.

Give it a few shots before you make up your mind whether to put an Accubrake on it. Keep back from the scope on the first shot or two so you have an idea of how much recoil there is. Once you've gotten an idea of the gun movement you will find yourself quite comfortable squeezing the trigger in short order.

Ken....
    "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession; I have
    learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
    - Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the recoil should be tolerable. I will shoot the gun at the range before I decide on the Accubrake.

DCAT,

Just be sure to practice with the 300 a while before you make the decision. The 300's recoil is very tolerable and after some practice, you shouldn't have any problems with it.

the recoil is not as bad as usually advertised, practice with it though.
    Matt

Collection of Arms

Glock 17 9 mm Parabellum

Blog Entries

I agree with what's been stated about the recoil of the .300 Wby. I feel that an Accubrake isn't truly needed until you get above the .340 Wby.
    All Weatherby, All the Time

.257 Wby Mark V Oil Lasermark - Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44
    .270 Wby Mark V Stainless Fluted McMillan - Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44
    .300 Wby Mark V Euromark - Swarovski 3-10x42
    .300 Wby Mark V Stainless McMillan - Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40
    .338 WM Rem. 700 XCR McMillan - Schmidt & Bender 3-12x42
    .340 Wby Mark V Oil Deluxe - Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40
    .375 H&H Mauser M03 - VXIII 1.75-6x32
    .416 Wby Mark V Deluxe - VXIII 1.75-6x32 HD

I personaly like the flexibility of having the Accubreak. When I go to the range on average I will shoot 25 or more rounds. With out the Accubreak I fatigue out after about 10 shots as my accuracy start to suffer. Plus when your ready to hunt take it off and your good to go. It just makes the rifle more versatile IMHO.